New “Cannabis Is Legal” TSA Bins Being Used in California
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The next time you go through security in a California airport, you might be surprised by what you find in the bottom of your plastic bin. New “CANNABIS IS LEGAL” ads are now running in TSA security lines in Ontario Airport (ONT) outside Los Angeles, California.
After years of broad use under medical marijuana laws, recreational cannabis will be wholly legal in California for those 21 years of age and older starting January 1, 2018. However, as the bin educates in smaller print: “Traveling with it is not. Leave it in California.”
Unsurprisingly, Organa Brands, the company behind the public service-style advertisements as well as one of the largest cannabis brands in the country, is heralding this as a landmark move.
“We have long known that California is about to become the biggest recreational cannabis market in the world, and as [one of] the largest brands in the space, we feel a real responsibility to educate consumers,” company co-founder Jeremy von Heidl explained to The Points Guy. “There’s obvious confusion surrounding cannabis laws — even the TSA at times has been confused as to these policies.”
The security bin idea is the brainchild of company PR manager (and self-professed TPG reader) Jackson Tilley, who had to get the idea past von Heidl first. “He thought I was crazy. I’m pretty sure he still thinks I’m crazy,” said Tilley.
In the end it all worked out. After Sacramento Airport (SMF) initially backed away from the ad campaign, Ontario Airport agreed to the idea. Organa expects over 15 million impressions in ONT alone — which we’re guessing will create quite the buzz among travelers.
What do you think of the new bins?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.