Park Hopping returns to Disney January 1 — with a few catches
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Disney World reopened its doors this summer after a 117-day shutdown to a different guest experience. On top of all the safety precautions, perhaps the largest change to the guest experience was the removal of the Park Hopping option allowing you to visit multiple theme parks in a single day.
Starting January 1, the option to visit multiple parks in a single day returns, albeit in a modified format.
The Disney Parks Blog announced that ticketholders and annual pass holders with the Park Hopping option (read: more expensive ticket) will be allowed to visit multiple parks as long as:
- You make a reservation for your first park in the Park Reservation System
- You visit that first park
- You can then visit a second park after 2 p.m.
- No reservation is required for your second (or third or fourth) park, but parks will still be capacity controlled
That means you could try and head from Animal Kingdom to Hollywood Studios after 2 p.m. to find Hollywood Studios (the most popular park currently thanks to Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge and Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway) at capacity.
Hopefully, Disney will have some type of monitoring and alerts set up in the Disney World App to alert you to park capacity before you try and head to a second park. Disney also said that Park Hopping hours could change away from 2 p.m. at a later date based on the park and date, so be sure to check the app during your trip.
Park Hopping returning comes directly on the heels of Disney’s announcement they are increasing capacity from 25% to 35% and that parks are 77% booked for the holidays in the park pass reservation system.
The news of expanded park options and increased capacity coincides with the US just shy of adding 200,000 new COVID-19 cases per day and the CDC strongly discouraging travel during Thanksgiving.
Featured image by Mike LaRosa/Disney Park Pride
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.