Here’s how to save up to 22% off hotels in New York City this winter
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Visiting New York City is a dream for many people around the world — but one that can be rather expensive at times.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Thanks to NYC & Company, New York City’s official destination marketing organization and convention and visitors bureau, however, a trip to the city can be a little more affordable thanks to NYC Hotel Week, a promotion running now through Feb. 13, 2022.
During the promotion, folks looking to travel to NYC or locals who might need a winter staycation can save 22% on the standard room rate at around 115 hotels across the city’s five boroughs. That means you can explore some of the city’s most famous neighborhoods, from eclectic Times Square to hip Williamsburg, Brooklyn and even the Rockaway beaches in Queens.
A few of our favorite hotels are offering discounts including the Hotel 50 Bowery, a World of Hyatt hotel in the heart of Chinatown. On a recent stay at this hotel, TPG staffer Chris Dong fell in love with what he called a great boutique hotel that “spotlights Chinatown rather than ignoring or erasing it.”
With the promotion, cash rates for one night on Jan. 11 start at $140 per night for a king bedroom (plus taxes and fees), shown below, as compared to the $153 for the World of Hyatt Members Advance Purchase rate, $171 for the Member Rate and $179 for the Standard Rate. For the same date I searched, Hotels.com offered the room for a non-refundable rate of $159. Though $13, roughly, may not be the biggest savings, every dollar adds up.
Quite a few luxury hotels are joining in on NYC Hotel Week, so you can save some bucks on a room without skipping out on high-end amenities, style and location. Upscale properties offering discounts include the New York Edition, The Langham and even The Equinox Hotel, the first hotel created by Equinox Gyms and one of our 2021 hotel recommendations.
People wanting to be in the heart of some of New York’s most famous tourist spots have plenty of options. In Times Square, check out the New York Marriott Marquis or the Moxy Times Square, or see the Brooklyn Bridge up close at the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge. Book a room with this promotion at the William Vale in Williamsburg, Brooklyn or the Gansevoort in Manhattan’s Meatpacking District to stay in one of the city’s most stylish neighborhoods.
How do the savings stack up at these hotels? With this promotion, a one-night stay at the New York Marriott Marquis on Jan. 11 came to $228 (plus taxes and fees). To compare, booking the same room for the same night would be $233 if going through AAA Travel or Hotels.com. The savings are a mere $5.
Don’t forget, either way, you’ll be required to pay the hotel’s $30 Destination fee, which shows up in the grand total if booked directly through Marriott or Hotels.com, but will be charged at the hotel if booked through AAA.
Another example is The Graduate Hotel Roosevelt Island, a new hotel with a collegiate feel and awesome panoramic rooftop bar. When booked directly through the hotel using the NYC Hotel Week promotion, a Graduate King Room for Jan. 11 came to $124 (plus taxes and fees). The AAA rate for the same date was $159. Other third-party booking sites such as Booking.com also showed the $159 rate. That’s a $35 savings — enough to have a drink on the roof.
A full list of participating hotels can be found on the NYC & Company website.
How to book
To save 22% on hotel stays between now and Feb. 13, 2022 as part of NYC Hotel Week, visit NYC & Company’s official website to be directly linked to special booking pages for each hotel or booking pages with the promotional code already applied. Since this is a promotion being offered across different brands and hotel chains, NYC & Company says to “refer to the individual hotel’s website for the hotel’s particular offering.”
Other ways to save in NYC
If you end up visiting the city, be sure to check out NYC & Company’s other winter offerings starting Jan. 18 as part of the NYC Winter Outing. From Jan. 18 through Feb. 13, 2022, visitors and locals can score special reservations to the city’s top restaurants during Restaurant Week, two-for-one Broadway tickets during Broadway Week and two-for-one tickets to popular attractions and museums during NYC Must-See Week.
Featured image courtesy of the William Vale.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees