You’ll need to fill out health forms before checking in for your next New York City vacation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York City will now require those traveling from the U.S. states and territories on its restricted-travel list to complete a health-declaration form before checking in to a hotel or short-term vacation rental property in the city, as reported by the New York Daily News.
The State of New York, along with neighboring New Jersey and Connecticut, has required a 14-day quarantine upon arrival since June of this year.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
More recently, the city has set up checkpoints at major points of entry to collect health histories and the contact information of travelers to aid in enforcing its quarantine rules. The list of restricted states is determined by those places that have an infection rate of 10 per 100,000 people based on a seven-day rolling average.
The eight-step New York State Traveler Health Form can be found online, and if you’re staying in a hotel or vacation rental property, such as an Airbnb, you’ll be required to show confirmation of the completed form — either by printing it out or showing a screenshot — to the person who is checking you in.
The form asks questions about health and travel history as well as contact information so the state can more easily stay in touch with a given person for contact-tracing and quarantine-compliance purposes.
The city’s mayor, Bill de Blasio, said that those who cannot produce a completed form upon arrival should not be given access to their room or property. Under the city’s executive order, anyone who fails to comply could be charged with a Class-B misdemeanor and face fines and/or other penalties.
New York City and state have seen infection rates drop to very low levels after being the epicenter of the virus for the entire world for quite some time. The 14-day quarantine requirement — along with the setting up of health checkpoints around the city and now the requirement for hotels and vacation-rental properties to collect the traveler health form — are all measures designed to fend off a second wave of infections in the tri-state area.
If you do have to travel to New York and are originating in one of the 35 states or territories on its restricted list, make sure you fill out the Traveler Health Form before you travel, and either print your confirmation page or have a screenshot ready to ensure the process is as smooth as possible. Otherwise, you’ll need to fill out a paper copy upon arrival. Be sure to have a pen handy!
Featured photo of The Ritz-Carlton, New York Central Park by Nick Ellis/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees