Port Authority Sets NY, NJ Airport Wages to $19/Hour
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey unanimously voted to raise the minimum wage pay for airport workers on Thursday, from $15/hour to $19/hour. The increase makes the workers’ wages the highest in the nation, including among several cities in the US that raised the minimum wage to $15/hour in recent years. The pay jump will take place in stages, and will go into effect for many New York State workers before the end of 2018, who currently earn $13/hour minimum. The current federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour.
“This is going to be the highest targeted minimum wage anywhere in the country,” Hector J. Figueroa, president of 32BJ Service Employees International Union, told the New York Times. “That’s a significant breakthrough.” Figueroa’s union represents many of the workers who will receive a pay increase.
The biggest beneficiaries are workers at New Jersey’s Newark International Airport (EWR), who currently earn significantly less than their New York counterparts at LaGuardia (LGA) and John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK). EWR workers currently earn the Port Authority’s minimum wage of $10.45/hour, which is $2.55/hour less than pay at LGA and JFK, but is still higher than the state of New Jersey’s minimum wage of $8.60/hour. Thus, the new wage agreement represents an 80% increase in pay for EWR workers.
The ruling comes after several months of deliberation by the relevant decision-makers, and years of lobbying and negotiation from unionized airport employees. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo made a special trip to attend the Port Authority board meeting and urge them to consider approving the pay increase. “It’s smart, it’s right, it’s fair and you will reap the reward in dividends,” Cuomo said.
The first step in the Port Authority initiative will occur on Nov. 1, followed by annual increases for the next four years. On Nov. 1, the minimum wage floor will rise to $13.60/hour for workers at LaGuardia and JFK, and to $12.45/hour for workers at Newark.
Additional reporting by Jessica Puckett.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees