Struggling Norwegian Air Expanding From Chicago and NYC to Europe, Fares From $160 One-Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Low-cost carrier Norwegian is expanding yet again. This time, the carrier, known for its deep transatlantic footprint and low fares, is adding nonstop seasonal service from Chicago to Barcelona and from New York to Athens.
The following seasonal routes will be added to Norwegian’s route network for summer service:
- Chicago (ORD) to Barcelona (BCN) — beginning June 7, 2019
- New York (JFK) to Athens (ATH) — beginning July 2, 2019
For both the ORD-BCN and JFK-ATH seasonal routes, they’ll operate with 4x weekly service on Boeing 787 Dreamliners. Additionally, both seasonal routes will cease operating come the winter schedule, on Oct. 26, 2019.
As of time of writing, both routes are not yet on sale. However, Norwegian says that the JFK-ATH route will start at $160 one-way in economy and $670 one-way in Premium. The ORD-BCN route starts at $200 one-way in economy and $670 one-way in Premium.
Meanwhile, while Norwegian is adding service on two new routes, it’s also increasing the number of frequencies on some of its existing routes. Its Newark (EWR) to BCN route will increase for the summer season from 6x weekly flights to a daily operation, and its Los Angeles (LAX) to BCN route will increase from 3x weekly flights to 6x weekly flights.
Norwegian’s route expansion comes at an interesting time. The carrier has long been known to be in financial trouble, and its most recent financial filings reported a 1.5 billion Norwegian kroner ($175 million) net loss for 2018. The losses were blamed on high fuel prices, strong competition and the extensive problems it’s faced with the Rolls-Royce engines on its fleet of Boeing 787 Dreamliners, forcing it to ground some of the aircraft.
In an effort to improve its operation, Norwegian CEO Bjorn Kjos said that the carrier “will enter a period of slower growth and fewer investments, while constantly looking for new and smarter ways to improve our efficiency and offer new products and services to attract new customers.”
On Tuesday, the carrier announced its latest round of route reductions by axing its entire operation to the Caribbean.
While the carrier continues to expand and announce new routes, if you’re considering planning a holiday around these new route announcements, it could be a good idea to purchase with a credit card that offers trip protection in case the worst case scenario does come true.
Featured image by Victor / Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees