Norwegian Air’s flying an A380 with Singapore Suites again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’re always on the lookout for Hi Fly’s A380. That’s because that particular A380 aircraft was originally owned by Singapore Airlines, which means it’s still equipped with Singapore Suites in first class. Hi Fly contracts out the plane on a “wet lease” basis — meaning both the plane and crew are from Hi Fly — so it can pop up pretty much anywhere in the world on behalf of almost any carrier.
But right now, you can catch a ride on this Airbus giant between New York (JFK) and Paris (CDG), as the plane is once again being leased for operations by Norwegian to service the route on certain days. It’s already been seen flying between these city pairs a lot recently, according to FlightRadar24, and is currently slated to make the run several times over the next several days through Sept. 10.
However, the odds of your flight departing on time doesn’t look great — the flight data shows routine delays of several hours, which is similar to how things went when Norwegian flew Hi Fly’s A380 between JFK and London (LGW) last year. Ticket prices to catch a ride on this A380 aren’t exactly what we would call a deal either, with basic economy for the next scheduled round trip starting around $800.
If you want a chance at sitting in an old Singapore Suite, you’ll need to purchase a premium economy ticket. The cheapest option showing the A380 right now is the one-way starting in Paris on Sept. 10, which will only cost $813 to make it to New York.
The bad news is even if you book a premium economy ticket, you likely won’t be guaranteed a suite. Norwegian normally randomly assigns 12 premium economy passengers to the 12 suites onboard, with the rest of the cabin going into the 60 lie flat business class seats.
Also, don’t expect anywhere near the full Singapore Suites experience on this flight. TPG’s Benji Stawski reviewed the Hi Fly A380 when it was operating on Norwegian’s JFK-LGW route last year and reported that “the soft product isn’t any different from normal Norwegian flights… The crew was a mixed bag, but the food was consistently bad.”
But if the Hi Fly A380 is on your bucket list, this could be a good time to catch a ride. Just don’t plan on it being the ultimate in first class luxury.
Featured image courtesy of Hi Fly.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees