This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Public restrooms aren’t exactly known to be beautiful. In fact, most of the time it’s a place tourists dread walking into. But in Norway, that’s all about to change. The Scandinavian country just opened up what is being called, “The World’s Most Beautiful Public Restroom.” And, well, it’s pretty cool looking.
Set on the edge of a fjord in the town of Gildeskål, the wave-shaped building with glass walls offers visitors not only a place to relieve themselves, but views of the Norwegian Sea, distant snow-covered mountains, and if they’re lucky, the Northern Lights.
‘Ureddplassen,’ as it’s otherwise known, is actually a $2 million memorial that pays tribute to 42 men who died in 1943 when their Royal Norwegian Navy submarine hit a German mine during WWII and sank.
The installation can be found along the Norwegian Scenic Route, Helfelandskysten – the longest of Norway’s 18 scenic routes. The drive spans from Jektvik to Kilboghamn, and brings road trippers on a journey through glaciers, across the Arctic Circle, and down the western coast. The trip is about 270 miles long and includes six ferry rides. Ureddplassen lies roughly in the middle of the route, making it the perfect place to take a break.
The building is stunning year round, so be sure to stop for a nice break, picnic on the beach or just simply to marvel at the surrounding rock formations and Norway’s idyllic landscape.
Featured image by Steinar Skaar.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees