This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Public restrooms aren’t exactly known to be beautiful. In fact, most of the time it’s a place tourists dread walking into. But in Norway, that’s all about to change. The Scandinavian country just opened up what is being called, “The World’s Most Beautiful Public Restroom.” And, well, it’s pretty cool looking.
Set on the edge of a fjord in the town of Gildeskål, the wave-shaped building with glass walls offers visitors not only a place to relieve themselves, but views of the Norwegian Sea, distant snow-covered mountains, and if they’re lucky, the Northern Lights.
‘Ureddplassen,’ as it’s otherwise known, is actually a $2 million memorial that pays tribute to 42 men who died in 1943 when their Royal Norwegian Navy submarine hit a German mine during WWII and sank.
The installation can be found along the Norwegian Scenic Route, Helfelandskysten – the longest of Norway’s 18 scenic routes. The drive spans from Jektvik to Kilboghamn, and brings road trippers on a journey through glaciers, across the Arctic Circle, and down the western coast. The trip is about 270 miles long and includes six ferry rides. Ureddplassen lies roughly in the middle of the route, making it the perfect place to take a break.
The building is stunning year round, so be sure to stop for a nice break, picnic on the beach or just simply to marvel at the surrounding rock formations and Norway’s idyllic landscape.
Featured image by Steinar Skaar.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards