Norway Just Opened The World’s Most Beautiful Public Restroom- And It Belongs On Your Bucket List
Public restrooms aren’t exactly known to be beautiful. In fact, most of the time it’s a place tourists dread walking into. But in Norway, that’s all about to change. The Scandinavian country just opened up what is being called, “The World’s Most Beautiful Public Restroom.” And, well, it’s pretty cool looking.
Set on the edge of a fjord in the town of Gildeskål, the wave-shaped building with glass walls offers visitors not only a place to relieve themselves, but views of the Norwegian Sea, distant snow-covered mountains, and if they’re lucky, the Northern Lights.
‘Ureddplassen,’ as it’s otherwise known, is actually a $2 million memorial that pays tribute to 42 men who died in 1943 when their Royal Norwegian Navy submarine hit a German mine during WWII and sank.
The installation can be found along the Norwegian Scenic Route, Helfelandskysten – the longest of Norway’s 18 scenic routes. The drive spans from Jektvik to Kilboghamn, and brings road trippers on a journey through glaciers, across the Arctic Circle, and down the western coast. The trip is about 270 miles long and includes six ferry rides. Ureddplassen lies roughly in the middle of the route, making it the perfect place to take a break.
The building is stunning year round, so be sure to stop for a nice break, picnic on the beach or just simply to marvel at the surrounding rock formations and Norway’s idyllic landscape.
Featured image by Steinar Skaar.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.