Norway Just Opened The World’s Most Beautiful Public Restroom- And It Belongs On Your Bucket List
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Public restrooms aren’t exactly known to be beautiful. In fact, most of the time it’s a place tourists dread walking into. But in Norway, that’s all about to change. The Scandinavian country just opened up what is being called, “The World’s Most Beautiful Public Restroom.” And, well, it’s pretty cool looking.
Set on the edge of a fjord in the town of Gildeskål, the wave-shaped building with glass walls offers visitors not only a place to relieve themselves, but views of the Norwegian Sea, distant snow-covered mountains, and if they’re lucky, the Northern Lights.
‘Ureddplassen,’ as it’s otherwise known, is actually a $2 million memorial that pays tribute to 42 men who died in 1943 when their Royal Norwegian Navy submarine hit a German mine during WWII and sank.
The installation can be found along the Norwegian Scenic Route, Helfelandskysten – the longest of Norway’s 18 scenic routes. The drive spans from Jektvik to Kilboghamn, and brings road trippers on a journey through glaciers, across the Arctic Circle, and down the western coast. The trip is about 270 miles long and includes six ferry rides. Ureddplassen lies roughly in the middle of the route, making it the perfect place to take a break.
The building is stunning year round, so be sure to stop for a nice break, picnic on the beach or just simply to marvel at the surrounding rock formations and Norway’s idyllic landscape.
Featured image by Steinar Skaar.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees