This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Public restrooms aren’t exactly known to be beautiful. In fact, most of the time it’s a place tourists dread walking into. But in Norway, that’s all about to change. The Scandinavian country just opened up what is being called, “The World’s Most Beautiful Public Restroom.” And, well, it’s pretty cool looking.
Set on the edge of a fjord in the town of Gildeskål, the wave-shaped building with glass walls offers visitors not only a place to relieve themselves, but views of the Norwegian Sea, distant snow-covered mountains, and if they’re lucky, the Northern Lights.
‘Ureddplassen,’ as it’s otherwise known, is actually a $2 million memorial that pays tribute to 42 men who died in 1943 when their Royal Norwegian Navy submarine hit a German mine during WWII and sank.
The installation can be found along the Norwegian Scenic Route, Helfelandskysten – the longest of Norway’s 18 scenic routes. The drive spans from Jektvik to Kilboghamn, and brings road trippers on a journey through glaciers, across the Arctic Circle, and down the western coast. The trip is about 270 miles long and includes six ferry rides. Ureddplassen lies roughly in the middle of the route, making it the perfect place to take a break.
The building is stunning year round, so be sure to stop for a nice break, picnic on the beach or just simply to marvel at the surrounding rock formations and Norway’s idyllic landscape.
Featured image by Steinar Skaar.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that