Amex eliminating email option for Platinum Card Concierge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Like many members of the TPG team, one of my favorite benefits of The Platinum Card® from American Express has long been the generally fantastic “concierge” service.
For years, I’d call or email the Platinum Concierge any time I couldn’t get a New York City restaurant reservation. Many times, an agent quickly came through with a booking, and having a concierge handle the reservation had even led to a better dining experience — an ideal table location on one occasion, sparkling wine on another.
Want more credit card news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Lately, however, the service hasn’t been nearly as responsive as before — especially with requests sent via email. When I asked for restaurant recommendations in Monterey, Napa, and Maui, I received a message asking me to wait a week to hear back. It ended up taking nine days to receive a response.
The good news is that American Express appears to be aware of the issue, and is planning to implement a fix. Unfortunately, the “solution” is to eliminate the email option altogether — it’ll no longer be available as of Aug. 18, 2021. As the issuer explains:
“American Express prides itself on providing the world-class customer service, which is why every U.S. Consumer, Business and Corporate Platinum Card® Member has access to our Concierge. We believe that this service is most effective and efficient by phone. Therefore, as of August 18, 2021, Platinum Card Members will no longer be able to contact Concierge by email. Instead, we ask that they simply call the number on the back of their Card and say ‘Concierge.'”
I’m certainly disappointed to see that email will no longer be an option, but I’m hopeful that the shift will make it easier for agents to handle requests more quickly. In many cases, even 24 hours is too long to wait for a response, and nine days is entirely unreasonable.
While this may not seem like an ideal moment to try the Platinum Concierge for the first time, it’s worth pointing out that you don’t need to have The Platinum Card® from American Express to take advantage of the service. Other eligible cards include The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card, the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card and the exclusive “Black Card” known as the Amex Centurion Card.
Centurion cardholders will have a dedicated concierge assigned to them. Meanwhile, Platinum cardholders receive a different concierge for each request. Given that Centurion cardholders are assigned a dedicated concierge, hopefully, designated reps will continue to support requests sent via email as well.
The information for the Hilton Aspire card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees