New EasyJet App Finds Location of Instagram Wanderlust Shots
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travel envy– it affects the best of us. Especially on social media. However, one of the most infuriating aspects of this envy is arguably when you come across a picture of a place that looks interesting but have no idea where it is, or how you could get there yourself.
Enter EasyJet’s new travel app feature: Look&Book. Launched Oct. 16, Look&Book boasts the ability to not only find where a picture was taken, but how to book the closest EasyJet flight available to that location. All you have to do is upload a screenshot (preferably from Instagram) of a European location to the EasyJet Travel App, and you’re good to go.
The feature, when used correctly, actually functions pretty well. The Look&Book option is located on a rotating banner at the top of the app homepage, all you need to do is click and upload your screenshot.
I tried several photos posted by some of my friends taken around Europe. Nearly everyone was a hit. It even got this screenshot from Copenhagen that I was certain would stump it:
One minor flaw I’d like to point out, however, is that the app doesn’t tell you exactly where or what the screenshot is showing. Instead, it shows a map with the location pinned and the nearest airport to that location. So, aside from booking an EasyJet flight, which is really the primary focus of the app to begin with, it might not be the most efficient way to track down a mystery location.
Note that the instructions advise using European locations and Instagram for a reason. Results in other parts of the world are questionable if not inconclusive at best. The app also struggles a bit with landscapes — it found a picture of me on the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland no problem, but when I tried one of the Dingle Peninsula, the app couldn’t come up with an answer.
Featured image by Newscast/UIG via Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.