Heading to Cabo? Be prepared to pay when you land
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cabo is a popular travel destination for folks looking to relax on a Mexican beach with a drink in hand, or party until late into the evening. There are perfect resorts for families, and plenty of kids activities as well. But starting Nov. 9, 2019 you’ll need to pay to get the fun (or relaxation) started.
We’re not talking about hotel taxes, departure fees or tourism taxes. You can still expect all of those things. And now, you’ll also have to pay a fee of roughly $18.50 per person. This tariff isn’t confined to Los Cabos, either. It’s actually a state tariff, so all destinations in Baja California Sur, including La Paz, should begin charging this fee.
There will be kiosks at Los Cabos International Airport (SJD) and there’s a news report of an app being available as well. However, a search of the airport website didn’t yield any further information on either the app or approved payment methods. It seems likely you’ll be able to pay this fee with a credit or debit card. But, if you have a trip planned soon, packing some extra folding money wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world.
The fee is only applicable if your stay in Baja California Sur is longer than 24 hours. So, even though Cabo is a popular cruise destination, a port call for the day doesn’t seem likely to incur the fee. Guests arriving by land will be required to pay the fee when they check-in at their hotel.
New and increasing tourism taxes have begun frequently appearing in the news. Last month, Amsterdam announced it would be raising tourism taxes, adding a flat fee of 3 euros per person, per night, in addition to a 7% hotel tax (up from 6% in 2018).
Featured image by Anastasiia Zueva / EyeEm / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees