Heading to Cabo? Be prepared to pay when you land
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cabo is a popular travel destination for folks looking to relax on a Mexican beach with a drink in hand, or party until late into the evening. There are perfect resorts for families, and plenty of kids activities as well. But starting Nov. 9, 2019 you’ll need to pay to get the fun (or relaxation) started.
We’re not talking about hotel taxes, departure fees or tourism taxes. You can still expect all of those things. And now, you’ll also have to pay a fee of roughly $18.50 per person. This tariff isn’t confined to Los Cabos, either. It’s actually a state tariff, so all destinations in Baja California Sur, including La Paz, should begin charging this fee.
There will be kiosks at Los Cabos International Airport (SJD) and there’s a news report of an app being available as well. However, a search of the airport website didn’t yield any further information on either the app or approved payment methods. It seems likely you’ll be able to pay this fee with a credit or debit card. But, if you have a trip planned soon, packing some extra folding money wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world.
The fee is only applicable if your stay in Baja California Sur is longer than 24 hours. So, even though Cabo is a popular cruise destination, a port call for the day doesn’t seem likely to incur the fee. Guests arriving by land will be required to pay the fee when they check-in at their hotel.
New and increasing tourism taxes have begun frequently appearing in the news. Last month, Amsterdam announced it would be raising tourism taxes, adding a flat fee of 3 euros per person, per night, in addition to a 7% hotel tax (up from 6% in 2018).
Featured image by Anastasiia Zueva / EyeEm / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.