Sayonara: You Now Have to Pay If You Want to Leave Japan
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We may have just found your excuse to stay in Japan forever. As of Monday, the country introduced a new tax on visitors, appropriately called the “sayonara tax.” In other words: If you want to leave, you’ll have to pay — ¥1,000, to be exact (about $9 US dollars). The tax will be added on to plane tickets and ship fares for all passengers who are departing.
The tax is allegedly going to be used for more travel-friendly services, such as facial recognition at airports, free Wi-Fi on public transportation and even more language translations at popular tourist attractions after the fees add up over time. The government expects to amass ¥50 billion ($461 million) by the end of the year… Just in time for the Olympics in 2020.
Children under two are exempt from the fee, as are people who are only there for 24 hours or less — same goes for anyone who is forced to enter because of unavoidable circumstances, such as if your plane has to reroute. While this new tax definitely shouldn’t deter you from going, at least now some of your money will go toward making trips even better for future visitors.
Japan isn’t the first country to impose taxes like this on tourists. This past summer, Croatia increased the amount of taxes travelers need to enter the country by 25%.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees