Sayonara: You Now Have to Pay If You Want to Leave Japan
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We may have just found your excuse to stay in Japan forever. As of Monday, the country introduced a new tax on visitors, appropriately called the “sayonara tax.” In other words: If you want to leave, you’ll have to pay — ¥1,000, to be exact (about $9 US dollars). The tax will be added on to plane tickets and ship fares for all passengers who are departing.
The tax is allegedly going to be used for more travel-friendly services, such as facial recognition at airports, free Wi-Fi on public transportation and even more language translations at popular tourist attractions after the fees add up over time. The government expects to amass ¥50 billion ($461 million) by the end of the year… Just in time for the Olympics in 2020.
Children under two are exempt from the fee, as are people who are only there for 24 hours or less — same goes for anyone who is forced to enter because of unavoidable circumstances, such as if your plane has to reroute. While this new tax definitely shouldn’t deter you from going, at least now some of your money will go toward making trips even better for future visitors.
Japan isn’t the first country to impose taxes like this on tourists. This past summer, Croatia increased the amount of taxes travelers need to enter the country by 25%.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.