Nearly 3 Billion Chinese Travelers to Head Home for the Lunar New Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the spirit of the long-standing Chinese tradition of spending the Lunar New Year at home, the largest annual mass migration of humans (also known as “Chunyun”) is expected to usher a total of 2.99 billion trips for the Year of the Pig.
As one of two weeklong national holidays in China, citizens across the nation are heading to their hometowns to celebrate the New Year from Jan. 21 to March 1. Internationally, an estimated 7 million people are planning on returning to China from more than 90 countries. As for domestic travel, the numbers are even more astounding.
As of now, 73 million plane trips are projected to be taken during the 40 days. When compared to statistics from 2018, that’s a 12% increase. As for flights, the Civil Aviation Administration of China has scheduled 532,000 flights throughout Chunyun, which is a 10% increase from last years Spring Festival rush. CNN reported that China’s top 10 major airports (Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, etc.) will be operating 24-hours a day.
China’s rail network also network expects to see 4,787 train services before the festival (Feb. 5) and 4,860 after. About 413 million trips by rail (which is up 8.3% from last year) are to take place on the world’s longest rail network, which has just recently 10 new lines at the end of 2018 to prepare of the intense travel season. The railway has also incorporated some new technology into its system in hopes of easing the some of that trademark, Chunyun traffic including ticketless travel options and facial recognition software.
It will also be the first Chunyun to incorporate China’s new “social credit system” on flights and trains. So, for those who aren’t in great standing — look forward to joining the 2.46 billion trips expected to be made by automobile. Liu Xiaoming, vice minister of transportation, said that China has about 4.86 million kilometers of the road with 7,400 charging stations as of 2018. However, as you’d expect, traffic will be traffic.
Featured photo by Costfoto/Barcroft Images/Barcroft Media Via Getty Images).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees