National extends Free Day benefits through 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this spring, travelers saw a wave of companies extending elite status and other benefits for their members in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter!
In April, National and Enterprise Rent-a-Car became the first two major rental companies to extend elite status through 2022. National also announced that Emerald Club program free days would not expire until the end of the year.
Now, National is back with more news for its members. The company announced on Monday that Emerald Club Free Days, which previously expired Dec. 31, 2020, now will not expire until Dec. 31, 2021. That gives you a full extra year to redeem your free days. Travelers earn one rental credit for every qualified car rental.
Related: Comparing car rental elite status
Emerald Club members can redeem for a free rental day after seven credits, Executive Club members after six credits and top-tier Executive Elite members can redeem after just five credits. Executive Elite members can also redeem for any car class and aren’t subject to blackout dates.
Emerald Club Executive status normally requires 12 paid rentals or 40 paid rental days per calendar year. You can also skip those requirements and get National Emerald Club Executive status instantly if you hold The Platinum Card® from American Express through Amex’s Car Rental Privileges program.
National in May also extended the use of free days from the One Two Free promotion from June 15 until Dec. 31, 2020, but there’s no word from the company whether it’ll also be extended further.
“We are committed to standing with our customers, and especially our most loyal customers, to let them know we appreciate and support them, even when they are unable to travel with us,” said Randal Narike, the executive vice president of Global Mobility and Customer Experience in a statement to TPG.
“Extending Emerald Club Program Free Days a full year will provide them with more opportunity to use the rewards that they’ve earned,” Narike continued. “We hope that this allows them the flexibility to rent a vehicle down the road for that much-anticipated business or leisure trip when they are comfortable and able.”
The Enterprise Plus program has three elite status levels (aside from its base level): Silver, Gold and Platinum. Each elite tier will get you some decent perks like a free car upgrade per year. National has its own loyalty program: Emerald Club. As with the other programs, the base level is free to join and allows you to skip the counter. It also has two elite tiers, Emerald Club Executive and Emerald Club Executive Elite status.
Featured photo by Luke Sharrett/Bloomberg/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees