Mystery Object Strikes Plane Mid-Flight, Leaves Crack in Fuselage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Air France flight operated by regional airline HOP! collided with an unknown object mid-air on Sunday, March 25, somewhere between Paris (ORY) and Aurillac (AUR).
Travelers on board flight A5-235 reported hearing a loud noise in the main cabin. The pilot informed passengers on the 265-mile domestic flight that the aircraft had most likely been struck by either a goose or a block of ice, according to flight passenger Marie Dulac. The plane landed without incident at Aurillac Airport, but “a large hole was discovered in the fuselage just below the left main wing.”
The airline reported that part of the aircraft might have detached during the deployment of the landing gear.
The ATR 43 aircraft has been removed from service and grounded since the landing on Sunday.
Featured photo courtesy of Marie Dulac.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.