Mystery Object Strikes Plane Mid-Flight, Leaves Crack in Fuselage
An Air France flight operated by regional airline HOP! collided with an unknown object mid-air on Sunday, March 25, somewhere between Paris (ORY) and Aurillac (AUR).
Travelers on board flight A5-235 reported hearing a loud noise in the main cabin. The pilot informed passengers on the 265-mile domestic flight that the aircraft had most likely been struck by either a goose or a block of ice, according to flight passenger Marie Dulac. The plane landed without incident at Aurillac Airport, but “a large hole was discovered in the fuselage just below the left main wing.”
The airline reported that part of the aircraft might have detached during the deployment of the landing gear.
The ATR 43 aircraft has been removed from service and grounded since the landing on Sunday.
Featured photo courtesy of Marie Dulac.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.