Elon Musk Reveals Opening Date for LA Hyperloop ‘Test Tunnel’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Elon Musk announced the opening date for a stretch of his California hyperloop test tunnel. Sunday night on Twitter.
“The first tunnel is almost done,” Musk tweeted about the hyperloop, a project by his Boring Company. “Opens Dec. 10.”
Opens Dec 10
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 22, 2018
The tunnel will be an ultra-fast underground transit system running for more than two miles beneath the streets of LA, linking it to the outer suburb of Hawthorne, where Musk’s rocket and space tourism venture, SpaceX, has its headquarters.
“The initial Test Tunnel, located in Hawthorne, CA, is being used for the research and development of The Boring Company’s public transportation systems, Loop and Hyperloop,” the tunnel digging firm wrote on its website.
The stretch opening in less than two months will be a “test tunnel” to show what the company’s hyperloop and transit system would be like. Musk says that speeds in the test tunnel will reach up to 155 mph, Bloomberg reports. That is far below the top speed of 760 mph Musk had declared the completed hyperloop will reach — and it isn’t yet clear how the Boring Co. plans to get to those speeds.
Travelers will be sped through the tunnel on a device called a “skate,” an electric platform that will either carry eight to 16 passengers in its own travel pod or inside a car or vehicle that is driven onto it, USA Today says. Musk tweeted that there will be an opening event on Dec. 10 for the test tunnel, with free rides for the public the next day.
Musk is also planning hyperloops in downtown Chicago and a “Dugout Loop” to bring baseball fans to Dodger stadium.
Featured image by PETER PARKS/AFP/Getty Images.
This article has been updated to reflect that Hawthorne, CA, is SpaceX’s headquarters, not its rocket launching facility, which is in Santa Barbara, CA.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.