This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Elon Musk announced the opening date for a stretch of his California hyperloop test tunnel. Sunday night on Twitter.
“The first tunnel is almost done,” Musk tweeted about the hyperloop, a project by his Boring Company. “Opens Dec. 10.”
Opens Dec 10
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 22, 2018
The tunnel will be an ultra-fast underground transit system running for more than two miles beneath the streets of LA, linking it to the outer suburb of Hawthorne, where Musk’s rocket and space tourism venture, SpaceX, has its headquarters.
“The initial Test Tunnel, located in Hawthorne, CA, is being used for the research and development of The Boring Company’s public transportation systems, Loop and Hyperloop,” the tunnel digging firm wrote on its website.
The stretch opening in less than two months will be a “test tunnel” to show what the company’s hyperloop and transit system would be like. Musk says that speeds in the test tunnel will reach up to 155 mph, Bloomberg reports. That is far below the top speed of 760 mph Musk had declared the completed hyperloop will reach — and it isn’t yet clear how the Boring Co. plans to get to those speeds.
Travelers will be sped through the tunnel on a device called a “skate,” an electric platform that will either carry eight to 16 passengers in its own travel pod or inside a car or vehicle that is driven onto it, USA Today says. Musk tweeted that there will be an opening event on Dec. 10 for the test tunnel, with free rides for the public the next day.
Musk is also planning hyperloops in downtown Chicago and a “Dugout Loop” to bring baseball fans to Dodger stadium.
Featured image by PETER PARKS/AFP/Getty Images.
This article has been updated to reflect that Hawthorne, CA, is SpaceX’s headquarters, not its rocket launching facility, which is in Santa Barbara, CA.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees