This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is so cool that had it been April 1, I would have assumed it were some sort of cruel April Fools’ joke. But nope, this is May, so it’s gotta be legit.
United just launched a mileage auction to spend a weekend with its retired 747-400s, at the Universal Asset Management (UAM) Aircraft Disassembly Center in Tupelo, Mississippi (TUP). That’s where several of the carrier’s former flagship planes have been sent to begin their next chapter, following a stint in the desert at Victorville (VCV).
This event was clearly put together by some serious Avgeeks — one highlight includes a Champagne toast in the first-class cabin of N118UA, the same plane I flew on United’s final revenue 747 flight, from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL) on November 7, 2017.
During your visit to TUP, you’ll score a private tour of the facility, which is also home to two other United 747s — N117UA and N121UA — along with a private dinner outside of United’s former Queen of the Skies.
The trip will take place from June 1-3, 2018, with the 747 festivities all scheduled for Saturday, June 2. Round-trip domestic economy flights for two are included, along with two nights at a Marriott hotel in Memphis.
The auction ends at 1:00pm ET on May 24, so you have just more than a week to make your bid. As of this writing, the price is a cool 75,000 miles, but I imagine it’ll climb far above that amount, considering the true “once in a lifetime” nature of this particular auction. Head to this page to cast your bid!
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees