This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is so cool that had it been April 1, I would have assumed it were some sort of cruel April Fools’ joke. But nope, this is May, so it’s gotta be legit.
United just launched a mileage auction to spend a weekend with its retired 747-400s, at the Universal Asset Management (UAM) Aircraft Disassembly Center in Tupelo, Mississippi (TUP). That’s where several of the carrier’s former flagship planes have been sent to begin their next chapter, following a stint in the desert at Victorville (VCV).
This event was clearly put together by some serious Avgeeks — one highlight includes a Champagne toast in the first-class cabin of N118UA, the same plane I flew on United’s final revenue 747 flight, from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL) on November 7, 2017.
During your visit to TUP, you’ll score a private tour of the facility, which is also home to two other United 747s — N117UA and N121UA — along with a private dinner outside of United’s former Queen of the Skies.
The trip will take place from June 1-3, 2018, with the 747 festivities all scheduled for Saturday, June 2. Round-trip domestic economy flights for two are included, along with two nights at a Marriott hotel in Memphis.
The auction ends at 1:00pm ET on May 24, so you have just more than a week to make your bid. As of this writing, the price is a cool 75,000 miles, but I imagine it’ll climb far above that amount, considering the true “once in a lifetime” nature of this particular auction. Head to this page to cast your bid!
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards