Mexico is the latest destination to add a tourist tax
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now, we can add yet another destination to the list: Mexico’s state of Quintana Roo, home to the Riviera Maya and tourist favorites such as Tulum, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and Cancun.
As of April 1, 2021, the state of Quintana Roo will be instituting a $10 tourist tax for foreigners, per The Riviera Maya Times. No details have been released about how the tax would be collected.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
State Secretary for Tourism Marisol Vanegas says the tax is “necessary due to the deficit that the state of Quintana Roo will have due to the fall in tourism as a result of the pandemic,” according to the Times. Vanegas faces opposition to the tax from the travel industry over fears it will encourage tourists to choose other tax-free destinations instead.
Mexico’s tourism industry, much like the rest of the world, has taken a major hit in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic. Despite being one of the few countries open to American tourists at the moment, the CDC has assigned Mexico a Level 4 “very high” COVID-19 designation and said that “all travel” to the country should be avoided, reports TPG’s Victoria Walker.
Feature image courtesy of jopstock/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees