2 Mexican states to offer pre-departure COVID-19 testing at airports and hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The state of Guanajuato in Mexico has announced a testing program for passengers traveling to the U.S. so they can comply with new arrival requirements.
As of Jan. 26, the U.S. requires a negative COVID-19 test taken 72 hours before departure for all people entering the country. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has also stated that passengers’ results must be carried on an electronic device or on paper and be presented to the airline.
In order to comply with these strict new rules, officials in Guanajuato have said that tourists can get a COVID-19 test at Guanajuato International Airport.
Antigen tests available at the airport will be 450 pesos ($22) and the PCR test will cost 1,450 pesos ($72). The prices are only available to passengers on international flights.
In addition to these tests, the state’s department of tourism has announced that hotels in Guanajuato City, San Miguel de Allende and Leon — the main tourist destinations — will also have COVID-19 testing capabilities at their properties.
Additionally, the state of Yucatan has installed a complimentary rapid COVID-19 test module at Merida International Airport. Travelers heading to the U.S. will be able to take a test at the airport. The state has also said that some hotels will offer testing for guests.
In addition to the new requirement that all passengers have a negative COVID-19 test, the U.S. federal government has issued new, stern warnings about overseas travel.
In fact, the U.S. State Department has gone so far as to say that “U.S. citizens should reconsider non-essential travel abroad.” Among its reasons, the State Department says that “you could have difficulty accessing a test while you’re abroad,” as well as being stuck abroad if you test positive or have difficulty accessing or financing medical care.
Several airlines have said they’re in the process of rolling out testing for U.S.-bound passengers. Additionally, some hotels and resorts have introduced testing as an amenity, including Baha Mar and Atlantic in the Bahamas, Andaz Mayakoba in Mexico, St. Regis Maldives, Carlton Hotel in Dublin and Sofitel at London Heathrow.
On Tuesday, Hyatt announced that it’s launching free COVID-19 testing across all 19 of its resorts in Latin America.
Featured photo by Cristian Calderon/EyeEm/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.