2 Mexican states to offer pre-departure COVID-19 testing at airports and hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The state of Guanajuato in Mexico has announced a testing program for passengers traveling to the U.S. so they can comply with new arrival requirements.
As of Jan. 26, the U.S. requires a negative COVID-19 test taken 72 hours before departure for all people entering the country. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has also stated that passengers’ results must be carried on an electronic device or on paper and be presented to the airline.
In order to comply with these strict new rules, officials in Guanajuato have said that tourists can get a COVID-19 test at Guanajuato International Airport.
Antigen tests available at the airport will be 450 pesos ($22) and the PCR test will cost 1,450 pesos ($72). The prices are only available to passengers on international flights.
In addition to these tests, the state’s department of tourism has announced that hotels in Guanajuato City, San Miguel de Allende and Leon — the main tourist destinations — will also have COVID-19 testing capabilities at their properties.
Additionally, the state of Yucatan has installed a complimentary rapid COVID-19 test module at Merida International Airport. Travelers heading to the U.S. will be able to take a test at the airport. The state has also said that some hotels will offer testing for guests.
In addition to the new requirement that all passengers have a negative COVID-19 test, the U.S. federal government has issued new, stern warnings about overseas travel.
In fact, the U.S. State Department has gone so far as to say that “U.S. citizens should reconsider non-essential travel abroad.” Among its reasons, the State Department says that “you could have difficulty accessing a test while you’re abroad,” as well as being stuck abroad if you test positive or have difficulty accessing or financing medical care.
Several airlines have said they’re in the process of rolling out testing for U.S.-bound passengers. Additionally, some hotels and resorts have introduced testing as an amenity, including Baha Mar and Atlantic in the Bahamas, Andaz Mayakoba in Mexico, St. Regis Maldives, Carlton Hotel in Dublin and Sofitel at London Heathrow.
On Tuesday, Hyatt announced that it’s launching free COVID-19 testing across all 19 of its resorts in Latin America.
Featured photo by Cristian Calderon/EyeEm/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees