Metro Trains Arrive at Dulles Airport During Testing Phase of Silver Line Extension
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Silver Line is slowly creeping to Dulles Airport (IAD) in what would be the first rail connection between downtown Washington, DC and Washington-Dulles Airport. Travelers have had to rely on buses or cars for all or part of their journey to the United Airlines hub, which serves more than 20 million passengers per year.
Slated to begin service to the new Dulles Airport station in 2020, the Silver Line already connects nearby Reston, Virginia, to the DC area. Track testing last month failed to cover more than 1,000 feet. However, those hurdles seem to have been overcome based on a recent picture taken at Dulles.
The train wasn’t going anywhere quickly, but it’s a sign of progress for a much needed public transportation option in the DC Metro area. Even with the airport access road that covers part of the ground between the two airports, transit times can be very unpredictable with traffic and road closures for visiting dignitaries.
When the Silver line station at Dulles Airport opens in 2020, transit times on Metro between Washington, DC and Dulles are expected to be just over an hour with. Once passengers exit the train, less than a five-minute walk will place them in the airport terminal ready to go through security.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees