This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Silver Line is slowly creeping to Dulles Airport (IAD) in what would be the first rail connection between downtown Washington, DC and Washington-Dulles Airport. Travelers have had to rely on buses or cars for all or part of their journey to the United Airlines hub, which serves more than 20 million passengers per year.
Slated to begin service to the new Dulles Airport station in 2020, the Silver Line already connects nearby Reston, Virginia, to the DC area. Track testing last month failed to cover more than 1,000 feet. However, those hurdles seem to have been overcome based on a recent picture taken at Dulles.
The train wasn’t going anywhere quickly, but it’s a sign of progress for a much needed public transportation option in the DC Metro area. Even with the airport access road that covers part of the ground between the two airports, transit times can be very unpredictable with traffic and road closures for visiting dignitaries.
When the Silver line station at Dulles Airport opens in 2020, transit times on Metro between Washington, DC and Dulles are expected to be just over an hour with. Once passengers exit the train, less than a five-minute walk will place them in the airport terminal ready to go through security.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees