This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here in New York City, inches of snow have indicated that winter is upon us. Over in Australia, though, Melbourne Airport (MEL) is breaking out the lawn chairs to ring in summer’s arrival.
The airport has reopened its collaboration with Stomping Ground Beer Company to bring travelers a beer garden located between terminals 3 and 4 (Terminal 3½). And for those who maybe aren’t interested in getting drunk at 10am when the garden first starts pouring, the restaurant also serves local coffee and food from some of Melbourne’s best food trucks.
The beer garden is open on weekdays starting at 7:30am and serves Stomping Ground Beer Company products from 10am on, including “12 of [Stomping Grounds’] beers on tap, along with Victorian wines, ciders and locally-produced soft drinks.” Proud Mary coffee is also available in case you’re in need of a caffeine kick.
Locals have said that there’s no better way to represent Melbourne than this spacious, now-grassy portion of Terminal 3½. In fact, Andrew Gardiner, the chief of retail at Melbourne Airport, relayed that beyond the spot-on incorporation of draft beer and food trucks, the entire ambience is reminiscent of Melbourne culture. “. . . Throw into the mix bright art and major sporting events and you get all of the best elements of our city in the one place, which makes T3½ so appealing,” Gardiner said.
All the cool art that Gardiner was referencing came from local illustrator and muralist Justine McAllister who helped to design the destination. She commented that she wanted to make the environment simultaneously friendly, yet edgy.
The beer garden also includes a few convenient aspects for the ease of flyers, like its proximity to domestic terminals and flight information screens.
Travelers enjoyed the beer garden when it was open back in January. The picture tweeted below shows just how Melbourne Airport was able to make an airport feel like a chill outdoor experience. “Cute beer garden between T3 and T4 at Melbourne Airport,” the tweet reads. “The name speaks for itself.”
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees