Massive Cruise Ship Hits Tourist Boat in Venice Canal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Sunday morning at 8:30am, a cruise ship rammed into the side of the San Basilio terminal in Venice — hitting a smaller tourist boat and injuring four people.
CNN reported that the cruise ship — MSC Opera — said onlookers described the scene as something straight out of a disaster movie with the massive cruise ship heading straight into the docking area.
The smaller tourist boat, called the River Countess, was docked on the Giudecca canal, which is one of the busiest canals in Venice and a hub for tourists. Local authorities reported that four people aboard the River Countess suffered “light injuries” from the collision.
MSC Cruises said that the crash was caused by a technical issue that occurred while the ship was heading toward the terminal for mooring. “Investigations to understand the exact causes of the events are currently in progress,” reads the company’s statement. However, the ship has received authorization to be moored at the Marittima terminal as originally planned.
Italian port authorities also told CNN that while they’re currently focusing on the incident at hand, they also plan on improving all safety procedures when it comes to docking ships in the Venetian canals to prevent incidents like this in the future.
Featured image by aslu/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.