Massive Cruise Ship Hits Tourist Boat in Venice Canal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Sunday morning at 8:30am, a cruise ship rammed into the side of the San Basilio terminal in Venice — hitting a smaller tourist boat and injuring four people.
CNN reported that the cruise ship — MSC Opera — said onlookers described the scene as something straight out of a disaster movie with the massive cruise ship heading straight into the docking area.
The smaller tourist boat, called the River Countess, was docked on the Giudecca canal, which is one of the busiest canals in Venice and a hub for tourists. Local authorities reported that four people aboard the River Countess suffered “light injuries” from the collision.
MSC Cruises said that the crash was caused by a technical issue that occurred while the ship was heading toward the terminal for mooring. “Investigations to understand the exact causes of the events are currently in progress,” reads the company’s statement. However, the ship has received authorization to be moored at the Marittima terminal as originally planned.
Italian port authorities also told CNN that while they’re currently focusing on the incident at hand, they also plan on improving all safety procedures when it comes to docking ships in the Venetian canals to prevent incidents like this in the future.
Featured image by aslu/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees