Marriott Vacations Buys ILG in Massive Timeshare Deal
Marriott Vacations Worldwide has announced that it’s buying ILG Inc. for about $4.7 billion. The purchase will create one of the world’s largest luxury brands for timeshare vacation rentals, a purchase that is expected to save $75 million annually within two years.
According to The Orlando Sentinel, ILG has 40 properties and more than 250,000 owners between Vistana Signature Experiences and Hyatt Vacation Ownership portfolios.
Bloomberg says the combined firm will have about 100 resort properties around the world and 650,000 owners. Wyndham, another large player in the timeshare space says it has 900,000 owners and 220 resorts.
Because Hyatt Vacation properties were part of the deal, Marriott says it will have access to the World of Hyatt’s 10 million members, as well as those in the Marriott Rewards program.
Bloomberg reports that the new company will be able to develop, market and sell to seven upscale and luxury brands including Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, Westin, St. Regis and Hyatt.
“It really creates a portfolio of upper-upscale brands that’s unsurpassed in the industry,” Marriott Vacations CEO Steve Weisz told Bloomberg.
Featured image courtesy of Marriott’s Bali Nusa Dua Gardens.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees