Marriott Vacations Buys ILG in Massive Timeshare Deal
Marriott Vacations Worldwide has announced that it’s buying ILG Inc. for about $4.7 billion. The purchase will create one of the world’s largest luxury brands for timeshare vacation rentals, a purchase that is expected to save $75 million annually within two years.
According to The Orlando Sentinel, ILG has 40 properties and more than 250,000 owners between Vistana Signature Experiences and Hyatt Vacation Ownership portfolios.
Bloomberg says the combined firm will have about 100 resort properties around the world and 650,000 owners. Wyndham, another large player in the timeshare space says it has 900,000 owners and 220 resorts.
Because Hyatt Vacation properties were part of the deal, Marriott says it will have access to the World of Hyatt’s 10 million members, as well as those in the Marriott Rewards program.
Bloomberg reports that the new company will be able to develop, market and sell to seven upscale and luxury brands including Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, Westin, St. Regis and Hyatt.
“It really creates a portfolio of upper-upscale brands that’s unsurpassed in the industry,” Marriott Vacations CEO Steve Weisz told Bloomberg.
Featured image courtesy of Marriott’s Bali Nusa Dua Gardens.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.