This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Believe it or not, we’re quickly approaching the two-year mark from when Marriott first detailed the Starwood acquisition. The hotel giant simultaneously flipped the switch on status matches and instant transfers between Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest in mid-2016, but eventually confirmed that both programs would be run independently through the end of 2018. That isn’t to say there wouldn’t be some changes in the meantime, though.
This week, Marriott sent out invitations for a special event on April 16, referencing all three programs — Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest and Ritz-Carlton Rewards.
While the invitation itself doesn’t offer up any confirmation, it’s possible that we have just a few days to wait before Marriott unveils its new combined program, or at least some changes to kick in ahead of the anticipated launch date of January 1, 2019.
We could also get some insight into the upcoming American Express and Chase co-branded options, to replace cards like the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express, including a much-anticipated “super premium” product from Amex, since those are expected to launch sometime this year.
Of course, the April 16 event could be something far more mundane — a new batch of Marriott Experiences or SPG Moments, or new celebrity chef partnerships, for example — but the excitement surrounding this event suggests that there may be big news on the horizon. I imagine there will be more to share next Monday, so stay tuned!
Featured image of the St. Regis Maldives.
- Earn 75,000 Bonus Points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 6 points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels and 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 points) at a participating hotel. Select hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees