Book most Marriott award nights at off-peak pricing through Dec. 14
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
With hotel programs looking for ways to incentivize travelers to visit their properties, Marriott has just announced a new award sale that prices nearly all award nights at the off-peak rate for the next three months. Similar to the promotion that launched in October, the new sale runs today through Dec. 14 and is valid on stays occurring through Feb. 28, 2021.
Let’s take a closer look at the promotion.
For more travel news and tips, you’ll want to sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Save up to 33% on award nights
Marriott will price award rooms for up to 33% fewer points than standard rates at the vast majority of its more than 7,500 hotels and resorts worldwide for stays booked by Dec. 14. According to Marriott, this includes roughly 90% of Marriott’s global portfolio.
In practice, this means these properties are utilizing off-peak pricing during the promotion, which can result in up to 33% in savings over standard rates.
Marriott lists the following hotels as examples of participating properties:
- The Ritz-Carlton Aruba
- JW Marriott Guanacaste
- The Ritz-Carlton San Juan, San Juan Marriott
- Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos
- St Regis Punta Mita Resort, St Regis Mexico City
- JW Marriott Camelback Resort
- The Ritz-Carlton Kapalua
- JW Marriott Bonnet Creek Resort & Spa
- The Ritz-Carlton Amelia Island
- W South Beach
- Walt Disney World Swan
Using the Solaz Los Cabos as an example, award nights through the holidays — including New Year’s Eve — cost just 50,000 Marriott points per night. This Category 7 property costs 60,000 points per night on standard dates and 70,000 on on-peak dates.
Elevated bonus: 100,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, after opening a new Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card.
At this off-peak award rate, you could use an up to 50,000-point annual award night certificate from the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card — or choose any other participating Marriott Category 7 hotel.
Here’s how off-peak pricing breaks down by category:
- Category 1: 33% off standard award rates (5,000 instead of 7,500)
- Category 2: 20% off standard award rates (10,000 instead of 12,500)
- Category 3: 14.3% off standard award rates (15,000 instead of 17,500)
- Category 4: 20% off standard award rates (20,000 instead of 25,000)
- Category 5: 14.3% off standard award rates (30,000 instead of 35,000)
- Category 6: 20% off standard award rates (40,000 instead of 50,000)
- Category 7: 16.67% off standard award rates (50,000 instead of 60,000)
- Category 8: 17.6% off standard award rates (70,000 instead of 85,000)
Remember too that Marriott offers the fifth-night free on award stays when you redeem points for five (or more) consecutive nights. As a result, a five-night stay at the Solaz would set you back just 200,000 points — as long as you can find award availability for a standard room.
Unfortunately, there’s no master list of participating properties, so you’ll simply need to search for your desired hotel or resort to find availability.
Consider rebooking existing travel
If you recently booked a Marriott award night, consider canceling and rebooking to save points on your stay. You can cancel most Marriott award stays up to 24 hours prior to arrival for a full refund. Once the refund processes, you can then rebook at the lower off-peak rate.
This helped me save a cool 20,000 points on my upcoming, two-night stay at the AC Hotel by Marriott South Beach. Depending on how long your stay is, this can help you save thousands of points on your trip.
Do note that any changes made to a new reservation after the promotion ends on Dec. 14 will be subject to the standard (or on-peak) rate.
This opportunity to book discounted Marriott award nights for stays through Dec. 14 is a welcome way to save a few Marriott points if you need to lock in upcoming travel (or were already traveling and can rebook a stay for fewer points).
While some travelers aren’t ready to hit the road quite yet, it’s starting to look like those who are will have some unprecedented deals available to them this holiday season — including these off-peak Marriott award deals.
Featured photo by Summer Hull/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees