Manila airport suspends flights as volcano erupts in Philippines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dozens of flights have been canceled or diverted at Manila airport after the eruption of Taal volcano, located 40 miles south of the city.
The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines suspended flights at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (MNL) on Sunday, Jan. 12 after the volcano spewed a plume of ash over half a mile high. Volcanic tremors were also felt in the area and thousands of nearby residents have been evacuated. The volcano’s last eruption was in 1977.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Flight-tracking site FlightRadar 24 shows the impact of the airport closure. Some overseas arrivals have diverted to Clark (CRK), Hong Kong (HKG) and Bangkok (BKK); others have been canceled outright or returned to their origin:
As reported by the Philippine Daily Enquirer, seismologists raised the Taal volcano alert level to 4 just hours after the eruption. Alert level 4 indicates “a hazardous explosive eruption is possible within hours to days.” Manila residents have been advised to stay indoors to avoid ashfall and schools are closed for Monday, Jan. 13.
Philippine Airlines, Air Asia and Cebu Pacific have issued travel advisories and waivers. If you have immediate plans to travel to the area, check with your airline for the latest updates. For more travel tips, check out our post on what to do if your flight is canceled or delayed.
We will continue to monitor the situation, and update this post with any additional information.
Featured photo by Ezra Acayan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.