Mandarin Oriental Hotel in London Closed Indefinitely After Fire
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Mandarin Oriental hotel in the Knightsbridge district of London is closed indefinitely, the hotel said in a statement Thursday, after a fire ripped through the newly renovated building.
The London Fire Brigade said that 36 hotel guests and 250 hotel staff were evacuated from the building after the blaze started around 4:00pm Wednesday. Everyone was accounted for, and there were no injuries reported.
It took 20 fire engines and 120 firefighters a total of six hours to control the blaze. Thick plumes of black smoke could be seen throughout all of central London.
“Firefighters worked extremely hard in exceptionally hot conditions to bring the fire under control,” London Fire Brigade Station Manager Pam Oparaocha, who was on the scene, said. “Crews wearing breathing apparatus carried out search and rescue operations throughout the inside of the building.”
Current guests of the hotel were being accommodated at other hotels in the area, Mandarin Oriental said.
Mandarin Oriental said it was “too early” to tell when the hotel would fully re-open. “At present the damage is being assessed and we will provide updates as and when we have further information to share,” the statement read. The hotel recommended any customers with upcoming stays at the Knightsbridge location book alternate accommodations. All cancellation fees would be waived and pre-paid stays would be refunded.
Upon initial inspection by the city’s fire brigade, several parts of the hotel were damaged. “The external planting facade was damaged by fire,” the London Fire Brigade said in a statement. “Small parts of several floors of the hotel, the roof and plant machinery on the roof also sustained fire damage.”
The hotel had just re-opened after completing a multi-million dollar renovation on May 29 that it said was “the most extensive restoration in [the hotel’s] 115-year history.” All of the hotel’s 181 guest rooms and suites had been refurbished. The renovation also included adding “living walls” of plants and vertical gardens to the hotel’s courtyards.
The cause of the fire is still being investigated.
Featured image by Con Chronis/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees