Man Killed by Elephant While Driving Near Thai National Park
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man was killed by an elephant in northeastern Thailand while driving last Wednesday.
Police Lt. Col. Kemchat Paedkaew said that the man was driving near Khao Yai National Park when the elephant appeared on the road. Allegedly, wild animals have strayed from the park in the past.
While there are signs warning drivers to beware of wild animals on the road, the man’s car was speeding and hadn’t slowed down when the elephant was encountered, causing the car to hit the elephant. When the animal and car collided, the elephant responded by stomping on the vehicle, ultimately killing the driver. The elephant has since been guided back to the park and is being examined.
According to Lt. Paedkaew, up to two people each year are killed by elephants in areas surrounding the park.
Cases like this remind us that it’s always important to be aware of your surroundings (especially in unfamiliar places), to pay attention to surrounding signage, and to always give animals their due space. As nice as they may seem, animals can be unpredictable. In fact, TPG has reported on similar stories recently in which animals felt threatened and became dangerous to those nearby, such as the incident of the charging bison at Yellowstone.
Featured image by Arterra/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.