Man Killed by Elephant While Driving Near Thai National Park
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man was killed by an elephant in northeastern Thailand while driving last Wednesday.
Police Lt. Col. Kemchat Paedkaew said that the man was driving near Khao Yai National Park when the elephant appeared on the road. Allegedly, wild animals have strayed from the park in the past.
While there are signs warning drivers to beware of wild animals on the road, the man’s car was speeding and hadn’t slowed down when the elephant was encountered, causing the car to hit the elephant. When the animal and car collided, the elephant responded by stomping on the vehicle, ultimately killing the driver. The elephant has since been guided back to the park and is being examined.
According to Lt. Paedkaew, up to two people each year are killed by elephants in areas surrounding the park.
Cases like this remind us that it’s always important to be aware of your surroundings (especially in unfamiliar places), to pay attention to surrounding signage, and to always give animals their due space. As nice as they may seem, animals can be unpredictable. In fact, TPG has reported on similar stories recently in which animals felt threatened and became dangerous to those nearby, such as the incident of the charging bison at Yellowstone.
Featured image by Arterra/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees