This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday, a man at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL) stripped down to his underwear, climbed over the airport’s fence into a restricted area and ran onto the tarmac before jumping onto an aircraft wing and banging on windows.
The 19-year-old man, Jhryin Jones, was arrested for criminal trespassing, public indecency and obstruction of law enforcement officers.
“He approached an aircraft, jumped on the wing and began to pound on the windows,” a spokeswoman for the Atlanta Police Department told Reuters. “Five minutes later, he was taken into custody without incident.”
Passenger videos from inside the aircraft scaled by Jones show the nearly naked man walking around erratically while he seems to yell at passengers and talk to himself.
Witnesses on the plane told Atlanta’s 11Alive News that the Delta flight had just arrived at ATL from Miami (MIA) when the incident occurred. The passengers said that the man tried to climb inside the emergency exit from the plane’s wing, but flyers seated in the exit row were able to hold the door closed.
The FAA said it shutdown one of ATL’s runways due to the incident. Airport officials directed planes to other runways so law enforcement could assess the situation. The airport tweeted that there was no affect on operations.
— Atlanta Airport (@ATLairport) June 26, 2018
Featured image by Ramin Talaie/Corbis via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*