Maldives government repurposes abandoned resort as quarantine facility
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Maldives may be one of the smallest countries in Asia, but the government has taken a number of steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and treat locals and tourists who have contracted the novel coronavirus.
A number of island resorts have allocated resources and rooms as quarantine facilities, and there is a government contact assigned to each of the 10 resort locations. According to a tweet from Minister of Tourism Ali Waheed, the country now has 1,158 rooms (2,288 beds) available for those being quarantined.
Related reading: Should I travel? Advice for the coronavirus outbreak
Among the quarantine facilities is a repurposed resort on Villivaru in the Kaafu Atoll. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, the island was home to a popular luxury resort, but the property has been abandoned for years. According to the South China Morning Post, the renovation of the property was completed in just 10 days by a crew of about 50 workers. The quarantine facility has 30 air-conditioned rooms outfitted with a flat-screen TV and fully stocked minibar.
— Dhiraagu (@Dhiraagu) March 18, 2020
Quarantine at a beautiful resort may sound inviting, but no visitors are allowed and movement around the resorts is restricted. Individuals won’t be going for long walks on the beach or snorkeling in the blue waters.
Despite having 13 confirmed cases at the time of writing, the Maldives government hasn’t completely closed off tourism to the islands. Many resorts have restricted reservations, and passengers with travel history to certain regions (including Iran, South Korea, mainland China, Italy, Spain and more) within the last 14 days will not be permitted entry into the country.
Furthermore, all Maldivians entering into the country are subject to a 14-day quarantine at one of the designated facilities. Tourists are not subject to this measure.
As global concern continues to grow regarding COVID-19, it’s likely that we’ll continue to see more quarantine facilities be designated and more restrictions on tourism and travel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees