Major Waikiki Beach Improvements Promised in New Hawaii Budget
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Major renovation is coming to Hawaii’s best-known tourist attraction, Waikiki Beach. The Hawaiian legislature passed a state budget that included around $13 million “for improvements to the crumbling Royal Hawaiian seawall and other man-made structures at the state’s most visited beach.”
If you’re planning a getaway to Oahu in late summer or early fall, you may want to be mindful of where you stay in Honolulu. Per an Associated Press report, the funding is “sufficient to shore up the Royal Hawaiian seawall between the Waikiki Sheraton and Royal Hawaiian hotels and return a seawall to Kuhio Beach.”
Dolan Eversole of the University of Hawaii said this work “is the largest appropriation for beach improvements on Oahu in recent memory.” It’s unclear what impact the work will have on tourists, but it could get noisy on those areas of the beach.
Before planning your trip, be sure to check out our guide to getting to Hawaii using points and miles. If Waikiki Beach feels too crowded in general, we’ve got you covered with guides on other Hawaiian islands below.
- Off the Beaten Path: Tips on Visiting and Exploring Molokai, Hawaii
- Why You Should Visit Kauai This Summer
- 14 Outrageous Experiences You Can Have in Hawaii
- Off the Beaten Path: Tips on Visiting and Exploring Lanai, Hawaii
- 9 Things to Do in Maui That Aren’t the Road to Hana
Featured image courtesy of Waikiki Sheraton.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel