Major Waikiki Beach Improvements Promised in New Hawaii Budget
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Major renovation is coming to Hawaii’s best-known tourist attraction, Waikiki Beach. The Hawaiian legislature passed a state budget that included around $13 million “for improvements to the crumbling Royal Hawaiian seawall and other man-made structures at the state’s most visited beach.”
If you’re planning a getaway to Oahu in late summer or early fall, you may want to be mindful of where you stay in Honolulu. Per an Associated Press report, the funding is “sufficient to shore up the Royal Hawaiian seawall between the Waikiki Sheraton and Royal Hawaiian hotels and return a seawall to Kuhio Beach.”
Dolan Eversole of the University of Hawaii said this work “is the largest appropriation for beach improvements on Oahu in recent memory.” It’s unclear what impact the work will have on tourists, but it could get noisy on those areas of the beach.
Before planning your trip, be sure to check out our guide to getting to Hawaii using points and miles. If Waikiki Beach feels too crowded in general, we’ve got you covered with guides on other Hawaiian islands below.
- Off the Beaten Path: Tips on Visiting and Exploring Molokai, Hawaii
- Why You Should Visit Kauai This Summer
- 14 Outrageous Experiences You Can Have in Hawaii
- Off the Beaten Path: Tips on Visiting and Exploring Lanai, Hawaii
- 9 Things to Do in Maui That Aren’t the Road to Hana
Featured image courtesy of Waikiki Sheraton.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees