Outage that caused major travel websites including Delta, Airbnb, Expedia and more to crash now resolved
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This piece has been updated with additional information relating to the resolution of the outage.
Update as of 12:50 pm: Akamai Technologies has said via Twitter that the outage has now been resolved. No word just yet on what may have caused these sites to crash or any long-term effects.
If you’re currently trying to access a travel company’s website and it’s not working, you’re not alone.
The servers that run a number of major websites appear to have crashed Thursday morning. Affected websites include Delta, Southwest, Airbnb, Vrbo, Expedia (including sister sites like Orbitz and Hotels.com), Concur Solutions, Fidelity Investments and more. Some websites, such as Chase and American Express, are up but running extra slow.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Users visiting affected sites will either be directed to an error page or a blank screen.
The cause appeared to be linked to an outage on Akamai, a major domain name system (DNS) provider.
According to Downdetector.com, it appears that this issue began around 11:30 a.m. Although some companies are advising website visitors to try their mobile apps, based on our tests, the apps of companies like Delta are down as well.
While you can’t book new travel or make changes right now, it seems that there are no major travel disruptions right now. Delta and Southwest’s airport computers are still working fine and it appears that no flights have been delayed yet because of the website outage.
This is a breaking news story and will be updated. Check back for more.
Featured photo by Darren Murph/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees