This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Election season is upon us, and that means it’s time to figure where and who you’re going to vote for. Ride-sharing company Lyft won’t tell you who to put your support behind, but it does plan on making it easier for Americans to exercise their right to vote this November.
Voting in the US doesn’t come easy for everyone. A recent study shows that as many as 15 million registered voters didn’t make it to the polls in 2016 due to transportation issues.
To combat the issue, ride-sharing giant Lyft announced on Thursday that it will provide promotion codes for 50% off rides to the polls on Midterm Election Day (November 6) in partnership with non-partisan get out the vote organizations like When We All Vote and National Voter Registration Day. It will also integrate technology into its app to help find one’s polling location.
For underserved and low-income communities, the company will provide completely free rides through other nonprofit partners like Voto Latino and local Urban Leagues.
Drivers will be given voter registration handouts at Lyft hubs, and the company plans on reminding riders through its app to register to vote.
This is not the first time the ride-sharing company is getting involved in the democratic voting process. In 2016, Uber made it easier to find and request a ride to one’s polling station, and Lyft offered a 45% discount (in honor of the soon-to-be 45th president) on rides in 20 markets.
Stay tuned for a promo code, which a Lyft spokesperson said will only be available to use during Election Day on November 6. Although specific cities have yet to be detailed for free rides, riders will have access to discounted rides “across the country,” the spokesperson added.
Featured image by ANGELA WEISS/AFP/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees