Lyft to Provide Free and Discounted Rides on Election Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Election season is upon us, and that means it’s time to figure where and who you’re going to vote for. Ride-sharing company Lyft won’t tell you who to put your support behind, but it does plan on making it easier for Americans to exercise their right to vote this November.
Voting in the US doesn’t come easy for everyone. A recent study shows that as many as 15 million registered voters didn’t make it to the polls in 2016 due to transportation issues.
To combat the issue, ride-sharing giant Lyft announced on Thursday that it will provide promotion codes for 50% off rides to the polls on Midterm Election Day (November 6) in partnership with non-partisan get out the vote organizations like When We All Vote and National Voter Registration Day. It will also integrate technology into its app to help find one’s polling location.
For underserved and low-income communities, the company will provide completely free rides through other nonprofit partners like Voto Latino and local Urban Leagues.
Drivers will be given voter registration handouts at Lyft hubs, and the company plans on reminding riders through its app to register to vote.
This is not the first time the ride-sharing company is getting involved in the democratic voting process. In 2016, Uber made it easier to find and request a ride to one’s polling station, and Lyft offered a 45% discount (in honor of the soon-to-be 45th president) on rides in 20 markets.
Stay tuned for a promo code, which a Lyft spokesperson said will only be available to use during Election Day on November 6. Although specific cities have yet to be detailed for free rides, riders will have access to discounted rides “across the country,” the spokesperson added.
Featured image by ANGELA WEISS/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.