This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Election season is upon us, and that means it’s time to figure where and who you’re going to vote for. Ride-sharing company Lyft won’t tell you who to put your support behind, but it does plan on making it easier for Americans to exercise their right to vote this November.
Voting in the US doesn’t come easy for everyone. A recent study shows that as many as 15 million registered voters didn’t make it to the polls in 2016 due to transportation issues.
To combat the issue, ride-sharing giant Lyft announced on Thursday that it will provide promotion codes for 50% off rides to the polls on Midterm Election Day (November 6) in partnership with non-partisan get out the vote organizations like When We All Vote and National Voter Registration Day. It will also integrate technology into its app to help find one’s polling location.
For underserved and low-income communities, the company will provide completely free rides through other nonprofit partners like Voto Latino and local Urban Leagues.
Drivers will be given voter registration handouts at Lyft hubs, and the company plans on reminding riders through its app to register to vote.
This is not the first time the ride-sharing company is getting involved in the democratic voting process. In 2016, Uber made it easier to find and request a ride to one’s polling station, and Lyft offered a 45% discount (in honor of the soon-to-be 45th president) on rides in 20 markets.
Stay tuned for a promo code, which a Lyft spokesperson said will only be available to use during Election Day on November 6. Although specific cities have yet to be detailed for free rides, riders will have access to discounted rides “across the country,” the spokesperson added.
Featured image by ANGELA WEISS/AFP/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees