This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Election season is upon us, and that means it’s time to figure where and who you’re going to vote for. Ride-sharing company Lyft won’t tell you who to put your support behind, but it does plan on making it easier for Americans to exercise their right to vote this November.
Voting in the US doesn’t come easy for everyone. A recent study shows that as many as 15 million registered voters didn’t make it to the polls in 2016 due to transportation issues.
To combat the issue, ride-sharing giant Lyft announced on Thursday that it will provide promotion codes for 50% off rides to the polls on Midterm Election Day (November 6) in partnership with non-partisan get out the vote organizations like When We All Vote and National Voter Registration Day. It will also integrate technology into its app to help find one’s polling location.
For underserved and low-income communities, the company will provide completely free rides through other nonprofit partners like Voto Latino and local Urban Leagues.
Drivers will be given voter registration handouts at Lyft hubs, and the company plans on reminding riders through its app to register to vote.
This is not the first time the ride-sharing company is getting involved in the democratic voting process. In 2016, Uber made it easier to find and request a ride to one’s polling station, and Lyft offered a 45% discount (in honor of the soon-to-be 45th president) on rides in 20 markets.
Stay tuned for a promo code, which a Lyft spokesperson said will only be available to use during Election Day on November 6. Although specific cities have yet to be detailed for free rides, riders will have access to discounted rides “across the country,” the spokesperson added.
Featured image by ANGELA WEISS/AFP/Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards