Lufthansa Group Says It’s Committed to Keeping First Class
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG considers Lufthansa First Class one of the top products in the sky. Its large seat and stellar onboard service is matched by an amazing ground experience that includes top-shelf drinks and even being driven directly from the lounge to the aircraft in a Mercedes.
While other airlines are slashing their first class cabins and routes, including Asiana and Korean Air, the Lufthansa Group has committed to keeping its flagship product, said Heike Birlenbach, senior vice president of sales for Lufthansa Hub Airlines at Lufthana Group’s annual leadership forum in New York City on Friday.
While the airline updates its fleet, it’s still evaluating which aircraft will get First Class and which won’t. In March, the airline group announced an order for 20 Airbus A350s and 20 Boeing 787s that will start to replace its Airbus 380 jumbos. It also has an order of 20 777-9s that will take the place of its aging 747-400s. Both Lufthansa’s A380s and 747-8s have first class cabins, so there was some uncertainty whether the new aircraft would get first class, even as Lufthansa plans on installing a new and completely overhauled business class.
What Birlenbach said is that it’s just a matter of how many aircraft will get first class installed, adding that the group, which owns Lufthansa, SWISS, Brussels Airlines, Austrian and Eurowings, will be making a decision on that in the next few months. She said that both Lufthansa and Swiss First Class will stick around.
“There are certain destinations where there is definitely first class demand,” said Birlenbach, adding that New York is one of the those cities, but noted that there are some other areas, like Canada, that has never had demand and probably never will.
One area where Birlenbach sees growth is premium economy. It’s a class that attracts both business and leisure travelers and Birlenbach said that all Lufthansa Group will get the a new premium economy product.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by The Points Guy Staff.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees