LOT Polish Airlines adds Warsaw flights from Washington Dulles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
LOT Polish Airlines will make Washington Dulles its newest U.S. destination.
The carrier will start nonstop service between its hub in Warsaw (WAW) and the D.C.-area airport on June 2. LOT will use Boeing 787 Dreamliners for its three flights a week on the route.
The Washington route continues LOT’s recent expansion in the U.S.
“A direct flight from Warsaw to Washington, D.C., has long been on our shortlist,” LOT CEO Rafal Milczarski said in a statement issued by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority that runs both the Dulles and Washington Reagan National airports.
Milczarski also suggested more U.S. flights may be in the works.
“New long-haul flights to the USA are the backbone of our strategy, and announcing the new connection to Washington now certainly is not our last word,” Milczarski added in the statement.
LOT has announced several other new U.S. routes recently, including new service from the Polish city of Krakow to New York-JFK and a new route between Warsaw and San Francisco.
The new service also continues a strong run for Washington Dulles (IAD), which has seen the addition of several high-profile international routes since 2017. Among the international carriers starting new service from Dulles since then are Air India (Delhi), Alitalia (Rome), Cathay Pacific (Hong Kong), Iberia (Madrid) and TAP Air Portugal (Lisbon).
“LOT Polish Airlines is the 18th European carrier to join the Dulles International family, continuing the airport’s legacy of offering unparalleled connectivity from the National Capital Region to Europe and beyond,” said Yil Surehan, vice president of Airline Business Development for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority.
The schedule for LOT’s new Warsaw-Washington flights will operate as follows:
- WAW to IAD: LO Flight 39, departs WAW at 4:50 p.m. and arrives to IAD at 8:30 p.m., all times local. (Tuesday, Friday, Sunday)
- IAD to WAW: LO Flight 40, departs IAD at 10:25 p.m. and arrives to WAW at 1:25 p.m. the next day, all times local. (Tuesday, Friday, Sunday)
LOT is a Star Alliance partner with United, which operates a large connecting hub at Washington Dulles.
The Dulles press release says the Star Alliance ties should offer “connecting customers easy access to many destinations worldwide beyond [LOT’s] Warsaw hub or across the United States via Star Alliance partner United Airlines once they arrive at Dulles International.”
However, customers should note that the late-evening arrival time of the Washington-bound flight will limit the number of connections available. On the flip side, the 10:25 p.m. departure of the Warsaw-bound flight creates a friendly schedule for evening connections via United’s Dulles network.
Similarly, the 1:25 p.m. arrival to Warsaw will give LOT customers numerous options to connect to afternoon and evening LOT flights to onward destinations.
Featured photo by Rod Dermo/Planespotters.net.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees