This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Scared of heights? Well, you might want to prepare yourself for this. The longest pedestrian suspension bridge in the United States is opening in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on Friday, May 17. It’s called “Sky Bridge,” and it’s suspended 140 feet above the ground.
Gatlinburg, a mountain town dubbed the “gateway” to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, is about an hour-long drive from Knoxville Airport (TYS) and not too far from Dollywood Amusement Park. As for the bridge, it will stretch 680 feet across a valley in Gatlinburg SkyLift Park, offering panoramic views of both downtown Gatlinburg as well as the mountaintops of the Smokies.
On Sky Bridge, guests are permitted to move at their own pace to take in the views, snap some photos and enjoy the setting before continuing their walk. Also — acrophobics, if you’re still here, we warned you — plans to install glass-floor panels at the midway(and the highest) point of the bridge are in the works. So, for once, it might actually be a good idea to look down.
Part of the larger SkyLift Park, the suspension bridge is just the latest attraction for guests seeking impressive mountain views. There’s already a chairlift suspended about 500-feet off the ground that runs from Gatlinburg to the top of Crockett Mountain, according to Travel + Leisure. Tickets for the lift cost $15 per adult and $12 for children.
“SkyBridge is an absolutely spectacular but easily attainable experience you’ll remember for a lifetime — especially as you cross the glass-floor panels in the middle of the span,” says the official Sky Park website. “If there’s one photo you’ll want to share with family and friends after your trip to Gatlinburg, it will be of the Sky Bridge.”
Featured image courtesy of Sky Bridge Park Gatlinburg.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees