The Longest Pedestrian Bridge in the US Opens This Month With Gorgeous Smoky Mountain Views
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Scared of heights? Well, you might want to prepare yourself for this. The longest pedestrian suspension bridge in the United States is opening in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on Friday, May 17. It’s called “Sky Bridge,” and it’s suspended 140 feet above the ground.
Gatlinburg, a mountain town dubbed the “gateway” to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, is about an hour-long drive from Knoxville Airport (TYS) and not too far from Dollywood Amusement Park. As for the bridge, it will stretch 680 feet across a valley in Gatlinburg SkyLift Park, offering panoramic views of both downtown Gatlinburg as well as the mountaintops of the Smokies.
On Sky Bridge, guests are permitted to move at their own pace to take in the views, snap some photos and enjoy the setting before continuing their walk. Also — acrophobics, if you’re still here, we warned you — plans to install glass-floor panels at the midway(and the highest) point of the bridge are in the works. So, for once, it might actually be a good idea to look down.
Part of the larger SkyLift Park, the suspension bridge is just the latest attraction for guests seeking impressive mountain views. There’s already a chairlift suspended about 500-feet off the ground that runs from Gatlinburg to the top of Crockett Mountain, according to Travel + Leisure. Tickets for the lift cost $15 per adult and $12 for children.
“SkyBridge is an absolutely spectacular but easily attainable experience you’ll remember for a lifetime — especially as you cross the glass-floor panels in the middle of the span,” says the official Sky Park website. “If there’s one photo you’ll want to share with family and friends after your trip to Gatlinburg, it will be of the Sky Bridge.”
Featured image courtesy of Sky Bridge Park Gatlinburg.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.