LAX Power Outage Causes Cancellations and Delays for Southwest and United
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wednesday night, Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) experienced a power outage that caused a ripple effect of delays and cancellations.
The terminals serving Southwest and United appeared to be affected the most. Hundreds of passengers were briefly stuck on grounded aircraft, according to The Associated Press.
The outage was caused by a glitch at a Los Angeles Department of Water and Power station, the Los Angeles Times reports. Airport personnel also told the Times that it takes about 1.5 hours for the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and other airport staff to reboot everything. And, in addition to the reboot, all passengers in the airport had to also go through security again. Delays and cancellations ensued.
While LAX is now up and running again, the impact of the outage is still affecting a handful of Thursday’s flights. Specifically for Southwest — LAX tweeted on Thursday morning that the airliner had reported 11 cancelations and 15 delays associated with when Terminal 1 was emptied of passengers so that they could be re-screened by the TSA. The airport suggested via Twitter that Southwest customers contact the airliner for updates on their flight.
In a statement to TPG, a Southwest representative implied that the situation should be resolved sometime soon. “The ground stop has been lifted and passengers are beginning to trickle back into the terminal. From here, we’ll meter flights to and from LAX to help resume the operation,” said the spokeswoman.
The snafu also affected United, which delayed 19 flights, cancelled two and diverted nine on Wednesday, according to AP. United’s schedule appeared to be mostly normal by Thursday morning.
Featured image by Marco Garcia/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees