Large earthquake hits near Mexican tourist region of Acapulco
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Breaking news out of Mexico late Tuesday night Sept. 7 as the New York Times and others report that a major earthquake measuring at least 7.0 hit near the popular tourist town of Acapulco.
Reuters reporting that there are several damaged buildings in Acapulco. According to Reuters, the United States Geological Service pegs the quake’s epicenter as just 11 miles northeast of the city.
There were widespread reports of power outages and major shaking being reported as far away as Mexico City. The U.S. Tsunami warning system said a tsunami threat was issued, but so far no reports of damaging tsunami waves.
There have already been several aftershocks as well.
So far, just one person is reported to have been killed.
Featured image by Francisco Robles/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.