This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Kansas City International Airport (MCI) is gearing up to break ground on a new, $1.5 billion terminal project next week.
The largest infrastructure project in Kansas City history to date, the new terminal will be 1 million square feet and consist of 39 new gates, close-in parking and a two-level curbside pickup and drop-off area. Passengers at MCI have almost tripled since 1972, when the current three terminals were opened. This new single terminal will take the place of the existing three.
The new terminal was designed by the Chicago architectural firmhe new terminal will also feature more post-security amenities. Kansas City officials project that the new terminal will create about 5,000 new jobs.
The terminal will be open to the public in 2023 and will have 39 gates. The dominant carriers at MCI are Southwest and Delta, with Atlanta the top destination.
The official groundbreaking will take place at the
All images courtesy of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards