Kansas City Airport Is Building a New $1.5 Billion Terminal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Kansas City International Airport (MCI) is gearing up to break ground on a new, $1.5 billion terminal project next week.
The largest infrastructure project in Kansas City history to date, the new terminal will be 1 million square feet and consist of 39 new gates, close-in parking and a two-level curbside pickup and drop-off area. Passengers at MCI have almost tripled since 1972, when the current three terminals were opened. This new single terminal will take the place of the existing three.
The new terminal was designed by the Chicago architectural firmhe new terminal will also feature more post-security amenities. Kansas City officials project that the new terminal will create about 5,000 new jobs.
The terminal will be open to the public in 2023 and will have 39 gates. The dominant carriers at MCI are Southwest and Delta, with Atlanta the top destination.
The official groundbreaking will take place at the
All images courtesy of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.