Japan’s Bullet Train Decks Out in Hello Kitty
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Japan’s bullet trains are known for their high-speed rides and on-time arrivals — so much so that the West Japan Railway Company (also known as JR West) issued a public apology last week for a train departing a mere 25 seconds early. Now, the Japanese railway company will soon be known for not just its punctuality, but also for its Hello Kitty-themed trains.
This summer, JR West’s 500-series bullet train will feature exclusive Hello Kitty design on both its interior and exterior. The train will have an image of Hello Kitty wearing a uniform at the leading car and a pink ribbon.
While the details of the interior have not been revealed, JR West promised that the train will have two carriages with “plenty of playfulness” of Hello Kitty world. The first carriage will be called “Hello! Plaza!” and it will feature a gift shop and an exhibition space.
The second carriage is the “Kawaii! Room,” and it will be the main leisure area for passengers. Passengers can also stop for a photo op with a Hello Kitty doll.
JR West isn’t the first travel company to go all in on a Hello Kitty decor. Taiwan’s EVA Air has a Boeing 777-300ER completely decked out in Hello Kitty livery — plus everything from the seat covers to the boarding passes, in-flight snacks and luggage tags feature a Hello Kitty theme. The plane is so popular that EVA just added an extra route from Taipei (TPE) to Los Angeles (LAX) earlier this year.
The new Hello Kitty train makeover comes after JR West launched the Neon Genesis Evangelion-themed bullet train. The Evangelion-themed train was a design inspired by the popular Japanese animation series. Service for that train started in November 2015 and was discontinued in May 2018. The company has not yet stated how long the Hello Kitty edition train will be running.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees