Jeff Bezos Is So Rich, an Etihad Residence Ticket Costs Him the Equivalent of 36 Cents
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Business Insider recently published an intriguing story about the wealth of Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, breaking down the fortune of the richest person in the world into everyday price comparisons. Bezos recently said at a Business Insider event that the only way he’s able to make good use of his wealth is to reinvest it into other businesses and make big bets; for example, he liquidates a whopping $1 billion in Amazon stock every year to fund his space travel company, Blue Origin.
Bezos, who’s currently worth $130 billion, is one of around 2,000 billionaires in the world, a club where the median net worth is $2 billion. Business Insider calculated that $88,000 for Bezos holds the same comparable value as a single dollar bill in the hands of someone who earns an annual salary around $60,000.
This got us thinking… By these standards, how would the following travel-related splurges feel in “Bezos bucks”?
|Purchase||Actual Cost||Relative Cost for Jeff Bezos|
|Indigo Partners’ 2017 order of 430 Airbus aircraft||$49.5 billion||$562,500|
|Emirates’s 2017 order of 40 Boeing 787s||$15 billion||$170,454|
|DeerJet Private Dreamliner||$300 million||$3,409|
|GulfStream G650 Private Jet||$66 million||$750|
|Cirrus Vision Private Jet||$2 million||$22.73|
|Crystal Cruises 27-Day Around-The-World Cruise||$159,900||$1.82|
|Etihad’s The Residence from JFK to Abu Dhabi||$32,058||$0.36|
|7 nights – overwater suite at the St. Regis Maldives||$21,000||$0.24|
|Amex Centurion Initiation + Annual Fee||$7,500||$0.09|
|Singapore Suites from Sydney to Singapore||$3,200||$0.04|
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.