Jeff Bezos Is So Rich, an Etihad Residence Ticket Costs Him the Equivalent of 36 Cents
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Business Insider recently published an intriguing story about the wealth of Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, breaking down the fortune of the richest person in the world into everyday price comparisons. Bezos recently said at a Business Insider event that the only way he’s able to make good use of his wealth is to reinvest it into other businesses and make big bets; for example, he liquidates a whopping $1 billion in Amazon stock every year to fund his space travel company, Blue Origin.
Bezos, who’s currently worth $130 billion, is one of around 2,000 billionaires in the world, a club where the median net worth is $2 billion. Business Insider calculated that $88,000 for Bezos holds the same comparable value as a single dollar bill in the hands of someone who earns an annual salary around $60,000.
This got us thinking… By these standards, how would the following travel-related splurges feel in “Bezos bucks”?
|Purchase||Actual Cost||Relative Cost for Jeff Bezos|
|Indigo Partners’ 2017 order of 430 Airbus aircraft||$49.5 billion||$562,500|
|Emirates’s 2017 order of 40 Boeing 787s||$15 billion||$170,454|
|DeerJet Private Dreamliner||$300 million||$3,409|
|GulfStream G650 Private Jet||$66 million||$750|
|Cirrus Vision Private Jet||$2 million||$22.73|
|Crystal Cruises 27-Day Around-The-World Cruise||$159,900||$1.82|
|Etihad’s The Residence from JFK to Abu Dhabi||$32,058||$0.36|
|7 nights – overwater suite at the St. Regis Maldives||$21,000||$0.24|
|Amex Centurion Initiation + Annual Fee||$7,500||$0.09|
|Singapore Suites from Sydney to Singapore||$3,200||$0.04|
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees