Jeff Bezos Is So Rich, an Etihad Residence Ticket Costs Him the Equivalent of 36 Cents
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Business Insider recently published an intriguing story about the wealth of Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, breaking down the fortune of the richest person in the world into everyday price comparisons. Bezos recently said at a Business Insider event that the only way he’s able to make good use of his wealth is to reinvest it into other businesses and make big bets; for example, he liquidates a whopping $1 billion in Amazon stock every year to fund his space travel company, Blue Origin.
Bezos, who’s currently worth $130 billion, is one of around 2,000 billionaires in the world, a club where the median net worth is $2 billion. Business Insider calculated that $88,000 for Bezos holds the same comparable value as a single dollar bill in the hands of someone who earns an annual salary around $60,000.
This got us thinking… By these standards, how would the following travel-related splurges feel in “Bezos bucks”?
|Purchase||Actual Cost||Relative Cost for Jeff Bezos|
|Indigo Partners’ 2017 order of 430 Airbus aircraft||$49.5 billion||$562,500|
|Emirates’s 2017 order of 40 Boeing 787s||$15 billion||$170,454|
|DeerJet Private Dreamliner||$300 million||$3,409|
|GulfStream G650 Private Jet||$66 million||$750|
|Cirrus Vision Private Jet||$2 million||$22.73|
|Crystal Cruises 27-Day Around-The-World Cruise||$159,900||$1.82|
|Etihad’s The Residence from JFK to Abu Dhabi||$32,058||$0.36|
|7 nights – overwater suite at the St. Regis Maldives||$21,000||$0.24|
|Amex Centurion Initiation + Annual Fee||$7,500||$0.09|
|Singapore Suites from Sydney to Singapore||$3,200||$0.04|
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.