This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Welcome to 2019 — the year that Instagram pop-ups have fully reached their peak. At least, we hope so.
Aligning with Japan’s cherry blossom season, a new pop-up museum is set to open this spring in Yokohama — a port city adjacent to Tokyo, easily accessible by bullet train. The Unko Museum, which will be open from March 15 to July 15, will offer Instagram-friendly photo ops and interactive spaces.
What is unko exactly? Well, unko in Japanese translates to poop. Yes, you read that correctly. A poop-themed pop-up. Whoever didn’t think to call it a poop-up really dropped the ball.
So, are you ready to see the photos? Don’t worry — it’s not what you may be thinking. The poops here are colorful, covered in glitter and totally photo-worthy.
The Unko Museum will have three poop-themed zones that are sure to exceed all of your colorful crap-filled fantasies. Each zone plays on the word unko. The ‘un’stagenic zone offers a photo-friendly space for guests to pose alongside giant poop swirls in a pretty Pepto-Bismol-pink room. The adorable, pastel-colored swirls truly make for an Instagram masterpiece.
There’s plenty of fun to be had at this unique museum. For starters, you can dive head-first into a pile of poop. Just when you thought you had a great childhood digging through the ball pits at Chuck-E-Cheese, this generation takes it to the next level and creates a poop pit with a giant poop statue as the focal point. If you rather sit this part out, pull up a stool-shaped stool and hang back at one of the tables, which are in the shape of.. well, you get it at this point.
The ‘un’teractive zone is where you’ll find yourself surrounded by swirls of unko with eyeballs staring back at you. Here, you can play a lovely game of kuso (Japanese for sh*t), which involves stepping on poo-pile light projections in order to splatter them. Fun!
Don’t think all this
excrement excitement is just for kids. The museum encourages adults to return to their childhood to enjoy all of the installations.
The final section is the ‘un’telligence zone. In this area, guests are welcomed to admire an exhibition of paintings, art and unko-themed souvenirs from around the world. If you find the work inspiring, you can even make your own painting.
A visit to Unko Museum will not be complete without a picture with the official mascot, ‘Unberuto.’ Just look out for the life-sized piece of poo walking around with a toilet under his arm.
Tickets for the museum can be purchased for 1600 yen (about $14.50) for adults and 900 yen (about $8) for kids. Advanced ticket purchase is suggested.
If you have plans to visit Japan in the next few months, this museum is a must-doo doo. Even if it’s not the number one stop on your list, it definitely should be number two.
So, what are you waiting for? Find out how to get to Japan on points and miles here.
h/t TimeOut Tokyo
All images by Unko Museum via its website.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees