Japan’s New Instagram Hotspot Is a…Poop Museum
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Welcome to 2019 — the year that Instagram pop-ups have fully reached their peak. At least, we hope so.
Aligning with Japan’s cherry blossom season, a new pop-up museum is set to open this spring in Yokohama — a port city adjacent to Tokyo, easily accessible by bullet train. The Unko Museum, which will be open from March 15 to July 15, will offer Instagram-friendly photo ops and interactive spaces.
What is unko exactly? Well, unko in Japanese translates to poop. Yes, you read that correctly. A poop-themed pop-up. Whoever didn’t think to call it a poop-up really dropped the ball.
So, are you ready to see the photos? Don’t worry — it’s not what you may be thinking. The poops here are colorful, covered in glitter and totally photo-worthy.
The Unko Museum will have three poop-themed zones that are sure to exceed all of your colorful crap-filled fantasies. Each zone plays on the word unko. The ‘un’stagenic zone offers a photo-friendly space for guests to pose alongside giant poop swirls in a pretty Pepto-Bismol-pink room. The adorable, pastel-colored swirls truly make for an Instagram masterpiece.
There’s plenty of fun to be had at this unique museum. For starters, you can dive head-first into a pile of poop. Just when you thought you had a great childhood digging through the ball pits at Chuck-E-Cheese, this generation takes it to the next level and creates a poop pit with a giant poop statue as the focal point. If you rather sit this part out, pull up a stool-shaped stool and hang back at one of the tables, which are in the shape of.. well, you get it at this point.
The ‘un’teractive zone is where you’ll find yourself surrounded by swirls of unko with eyeballs staring back at you. Here, you can play a lovely game of kuso (Japanese for sh*t), which involves stepping on poo-pile light projections in order to splatter them. Fun!
Don’t think all this
excrement excitement is just for kids. The museum encourages adults to return to their childhood to enjoy all of the installations.
The final section is the ‘un’telligence zone. In this area, guests are welcomed to admire an exhibition of paintings, art and unko-themed souvenirs from around the world. If you find the work inspiring, you can even make your own painting.
A visit to Unko Museum will not be complete without a picture with the official mascot, ‘Unberuto.’ Just look out for the life-sized piece of poo walking around with a toilet under his arm.
Tickets for the museum can be purchased for 1600 yen (about $14.50) for adults and 900 yen (about $8) for kids. Advanced ticket purchase is suggested.
If you have plans to visit Japan in the next few months, this museum is a must-doo doo. Even if it’s not the number one stop on your list, it definitely should be number two.
So, what are you waiting for? Find out how to get to Japan on points and miles here.
h/t TimeOut Tokyo
All images by Unko Museum via its website.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees