Japan Airlines adds new Tokyo Narita-San Francisco flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Japan Airlines is adding nonstop service to San Francisco from Tokyo Narita, a route that will complement its existing service from Tokyo Haneda.
The new flight between Narita (NRT) and San Francisco (SFO) begins March 29, about four months before the 2020 Summer Olympics kick off in Tokyo. JAL will offer one daily round-trip flight on Boeing 787-8 aircraft, though JAL had not yet confirmed which of its several configurations of the plane will be flying the new route.
JAL flies its current route between SFO and Haneda (HND) with Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.
Tickets for JAL’s NRT-SFO service will become available for booking on Wednesday, Nov. 6.
Narita and Haneda — Tokyo’s two main airports — fill different roles for the city. Haneda is much closer to downtown — about 10 miles — and is generally preferred by those traveling to or from Tokyo itself. Narita is about 40 miles from central Tokyo, with transit times frequently topping an hour for those headed into the city.
JAL and Japanese rival All Nippon Airways (ANA) each offer connections via Haneda, though they focus more on domestic and regional destinations. Narita has historically been the main international hub for Tokyo, though Haneda has recently gained a number of new routes to North America. Still, passengers connecting to long-haul flights from Tokyo may see options via Narita.
The Narita flight, JAL says, will offer “smooth connections for business and leisure customers seeking to travel throughout Asia.”
In addition to the new SFO-Tokyo route, JAL also is beefing up its schedule to the U.S. territory of Guam. The airline will add a second daily flight between Narita and Guam. Both fights will be on Boeing 767-300ER aircraft.
JAL is a Oneworld frequent-flyer alliance and joint-venture partner of American Airlines. Customers of each airline can earn and redeem miles on flights on the other.
American Airlines customers can also book award flights on JAL via American’s own website, with first-class “saver” tickets for JAL flights beginning at 80,000 miles each way.
Featured photo by Christoph Schmidt/picture alliance via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees