Japan Airlines Awards Can Now Be Searched, Booked Through American Airlines’ Website
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While American Airlines isn’t exactly making it cheap or easy to redeem miles on its own flights, it’s been consistently adding functionality to book partner awards through its website. On Thursday, American added its 16th partner for online award booking.
As of Thursday morning, Japan Airlines awards can be searched and booked on AA.com. This is excellent news for those looking for the easiest way of searching for awards on Japan Airlines’ amazing economy, business and first class products. (Unfortunately, premium economy awards aren’t bookable at this time.)
American Airlines allows anyone to search a month of award availability at a time. Thanks to the option to limit search results to “nonstop only,” you can easily find which dates have award availability on the direct flight through AA.com, even if you end up booking through another mileage program.
But that’s not necessary, since AA’s rates for JAL awards are very reasonable. Flights between the US and Asia Region 1, which includes Japan and South Korea, cost:
- 35,000 AA miles each way in economy
- 60,000 AA miles each way in business class
- 80,000 AA miles each way in first class
To test out the functionality, I searched for an award from New York JFK to Tokyo. This is a nonstop route that would only be bookable with AA miles if Japan Airlines awards were showing online. Sure enough, Japan Airlines’ wide-open economy award availability is on full display:
If anyone is looking for a last-minute trip from NYC to Tokyo, first-class award availability on Japan Airlines is pretty wide open for the next two weeks. 14 hours in JAL’s excellent first class product will only cost you 80,000 AAdvantage miles:
Since I have free award cancellation as a benefit of my American Airlines Executive Platinum elite status, I went forward with ticketing a Japan Airlines business class award to check if the process is fully functional. Less than 15 minutes later, the ticket status switched from “on request” to “ticketed”:
With this addition, there are now 16 AA partners who’s awards you can search and book on AA.com:
- Air Tahiti Nui
- Alaska Airways
- British Airways
- Cape Air
- Fiji Airways
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Japan Airlines
- Malaysia Airlines
- Qantas Airways
- Qatar Airways
- Royal Jordanian Airlines
- S7 Airlines
- SriLankan Airlines
This addition leaves just two Oneworld airlines and two non-Oneworld airline partners that aren’t searchable and bookable through AA.com:
- Cathay Pacific
- China Southern Airlines
- LATAM Airlines
- Seaborne Airlines / Silver Airways
Featured photo of Japan Airlines 777-300ER first class by Eric Rosen/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.