India’s Jet Airways Buys $9 Billion Worth of Boeing 737s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Jet Airways ordered on Monday 75 Boeing 737 MAX 8s, a major expansion for India’s second-largest airline. The purchase by the Mumbai-based carrier was previously included as an unidentified firm in Boeing’s tally; the event today at the Farnborough Airshow was a signing ceremony for the $8.8B order.
Jet Airways has a fleet of nearly 120 airplanes serving more than 60 destinations in 15 countries across Asia, Europe and North America, with a primary focus on India. (The airline is a partner of Delta’s, so you can earn and redeem Skymiles for your next trip internally in India.)
On the sidelines of the announcement, Ihssane Mounir, SVP Global Sales & Marketing at Boeing, noted that demand by carriers in India is very strong, and that this order represents the second time the airline has purchased 75 Boeing 737 aircraft.
“It’s not simply aircraft,” he said. “We’re helping with infrastructure and logistics, and a have a whole team dedicated to support them.”
Jet Airways also has 10 Boeing 787 on order for its long-haul routes.
“Our latest order for 75 additional Boeing 737 MAX aircraft reflects our long-standing association with Boeing and reposes our faith in the aircraft they manufacture,” said Naresh Goyal, Chairman of Jet Airways, in a release.
“The MAX will allow us to offer guests a superior and well differentiated experience using a modern, reliable and fuel efficient fleet. The order also emphasizes Jet Airways’ commitment to the growth and potential of the Indian aviation market.”
Jet Airways recently announced it was eliminating first-class seats on its international long-haul flights, presumably including the Boeing 787s which are yet to be delivered.
Featured image of Jet Airways’ first Boeing 737 Max on June 28, 2018 in Mumbai by Satyabrata Tripathy/Hindustan Times via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.