India’s Jet Airways Buys $9 Billion Worth of Boeing 737s
Jet Airways ordered on Monday 75 Boeing 737 MAX 8s, a major expansion for India’s second-largest airline. The purchase by the Mumbai-based carrier was previously included as an unidentified firm in Boeing’s tally; the event today at the Farnborough Airshow was a signing ceremony for the $8.8B order.
Jet Airways has a fleet of nearly 120 airplanes serving more than 60 destinations in 15 countries across Asia, Europe and North America, with a primary focus on India. (The airline is a partner of Delta’s, so you can earn and redeem Skymiles for your next trip internally in India.)
On the sidelines of the announcement, Ihssane Mounir, SVP Global Sales & Marketing at Boeing, noted that demand by carriers in India is very strong, and that this order represents the second time the airline has purchased 75 Boeing 737 aircraft.
“It’s not simply aircraft,” he said. “We’re helping with infrastructure and logistics, and a have a whole team dedicated to support them.”
Jet Airways also has 10 Boeing 787 on order for its long-haul routes.
“Our latest order for 75 additional Boeing 737 MAX aircraft reflects our long-standing association with Boeing and reposes our faith in the aircraft they manufacture,” said Naresh Goyal, Chairman of Jet Airways, in a release.
“The MAX will allow us to offer guests a superior and well differentiated experience using a modern, reliable and fuel efficient fleet. The order also emphasizes Jet Airways’ commitment to the growth and potential of the Indian aviation market.”
Jet Airways recently announced it was eliminating first-class seats on its international long-haul flights, presumably including the Boeing 787s which are yet to be delivered.
Featured image of Jet Airways’ first Boeing 737 Max on June 28, 2018 in Mumbai by Satyabrata Tripathy/Hindustan Times via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees