This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Jet Airways ordered on Monday 75 Boeing 737 MAX 8s, a major expansion for India’s second-largest airline. The purchase by the Mumbai-based carrier was previously included as an unidentified firm in Boeing’s tally; the event today at the Farnborough Airshow was a signing ceremony for the $8.8B order.
Jet Airways has a fleet of nearly 120 airplanes serving more than 60 destinations in 15 countries across Asia, Europe and North America, with a primary focus on India. (The airline is a partner of Delta’s, so you can earn and redeem Skymiles for your next trip internally in India.)
On the sidelines of the announcement, Ihssane Mounir, SVP Global Sales & Marketing at Boeing, noted that demand by carriers in India is very strong, and that this order represents the second time the airline has purchased 75 Boeing 737 aircraft.
“It’s not simply aircraft,” he said. “We’re helping with infrastructure and logistics, and a have a whole team dedicated to support them.”
Jet Airways also has 10 Boeing 787 on order for its long-haul routes.
“Our latest order for 75 additional Boeing 737 MAX aircraft reflects our long-standing association with Boeing and reposes our faith in the aircraft they manufacture,” said Naresh Goyal, Chairman of Jet Airways, in a release.
“The MAX will allow us to offer guests a superior and well differentiated experience using a modern, reliable and fuel efficient fleet. The order also emphasizes Jet Airways’ commitment to the growth and potential of the Indian aviation market.”
Jet Airways recently announced it was eliminating first-class seats on its international long-haul flights, presumably including the Boeing 787s which are yet to be delivered.
Featured image of Jet Airways’ first Boeing 737 Max on June 28, 2018 in Mumbai by Satyabrata Tripathy/Hindustan Times via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards