Jet Airways Is the Latest Carrier to Cut First Class
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While still a common offering on many international carriers, once United ends international first-class service on June 20, American will be the sole US airline to offer a cabin above business on long-haul flights.
International airlines have been making cuts, too — Emirates and Singapore are obviously still going strong, but carriers like Lufthansa have cut back on its first-class offerings in response to reduced demand. Jet Airways is now the latest carrier to trim its premium service — with superior biz-class products like Qatar’s Qsuite competing on India-Europe flights, there’s less incentive for customers to spring for an older first-class suite.
Currently, Jet offers first-class service on its 777-300ERs, which operate on the following routes:
- Delhi (DEL) – Amsterdam (AMS)
- Delhi (DEL) – Hong Kong (HKG)
- Delhi (DEL) – London Heathrow (LHR)
- Mumbai (BOM) – Amsterdam (AMS)
- Mumbai (BOM) – London Heathrow (LHR)
- Mumbai (BOM) – Paris (CDG)
Jet also offers first class on its fifth-freedom flight between Amsterdam (AMS) and Toronto (YYZ).
The plane in question currently sports 8 enclosed first-class suites, 30 1-2-1 herringbone business-class seats and 308 coach seats, in a dense 3-4-3 arrangement with a generous 32 inches of pitch. According to an article in The Hindu, Jet will boost the total capacity to 400 seats by eliminating first class and replacing it the current business-class product — “without altering the leg room.”
Jet’s 1-2-1 business class is already a big step up from competitor Air India’s 777-300ER product, and even the newer 2-2-2 seats on the Dreamliner. But if the airline hopes to compete with the likes of Etihad and Qatar, a major biz-class refresh certainly makes sense.
According to The Hindu, Jet CEO Vinay Dube claims that first class hasn’t been profitable for the airline, and that “the world’s finest business cabins” will be added to the carrier’s fleet of 777s over the next 20 months. With products like this to compete with, that’s quite the lofty claim.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees