IHG PointBreaks promotion discontinued, future uncertain
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For years, the IHG PointBreaks list was one of the most eagerly-anticipated deals among points and miles enthusiasts. Each quarter, IHG would release a list of select properties around the world (even five-star hotels) priced at just 5,000 points per night. That’s unbelievably cheap.
But nothing gold can stay. In early 2018, IHG sharply devalued IHG PointBreaks, introducing three different price points:
- 5,000 points
- 10,000 points
- 15,000 points
This extra pricing tiers brought along a large increase in the number of eligible PointBreaks hotels. While the devaluation miffed the free travel community, the promotional award prices were still a great deal. TPG currently values IHG points at 0.5 cents each, so even the highest-tier 15,000-point award is equivalent to just $75 per night.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
We now have another PointBreaks update: The new list, which should have been released Jan. 27, has failed to appear. TPG reached out to IHG, and they responded:
“We do not have a new IHG Rewards Club PointBreaks promotion planned currently.”
It’s unclear if IHG is retiring the promotion altogether or simply putting it on pause for now.
This is likely to upset a lot of IHG loyalists, along with many who recently opened the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card with its current bonus of 150,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. PointBreaks was one of the best ways to redeem IHG points — especially for those who like to stretch their points for the most stays — and now it’s not an option.
Related: The best hotel credit cards
We’re not certain that IHG PointBreaks is gone for good. TPG has reached out to IHG again for clarification, and will update this post when we hear more.
Featured photo courtesy of IHG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees