New IHG PointBreaks list is live: Book hotels from just 5,000 points, up to 75% discount
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG’s full PointBreaks list is live now! Click here to check out the full list of hotels and start booking your stays.
If you’re looking for a getaway this fall, IHG just released a new list of hotels that you can book for just 5,000 to 15,000 IHG Rewards points per night. While this promotion is available through the end of January 2020, you’ll want to move quickly as there are only a limited number of nights sold at this discounted rate — and the best properties get scooped up fast.
The full list reveals a total of 178 hotels. Of those, 93 hotels are discounted to 10,000 points per night — which is just $50 worth of points per night at current TPG valuations. There’s good news if you want to stay domestic, there are 98 discounted hotels in the U.S.
And for those looking for luxury, there are four InterContinental hotels on the list:
- InterContinental Cartagena De Indias — 15,000 points per night
- InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall — 15,000 points per night
- InterContinental Nairobi — 15,000 points per night
- InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers — 15,000 points per night
Before we get into some of the best properties, here are some tips and terms to keep in mind. Each member is limited to two bookings per hotel. There’s no limit to the number of hotels you can book.
One of the benefits of the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is automatically getting fourth night free on awards. If you’re working with more than one IHG account — such as your spouse or family — make sure to book the longer stays through the cardholder’s account to utilize this benefit.
5,000-point properties have been an endangered species on recent lists. In the past, IHG would put 100+ properties on sale for just 5,000 points per night. Earlier this year, that list length took an ungraceful fall to just nine properties — with six of those located in mainland China.
While it’s not as good as the 20 properties on the last list, there are 15 properties on this version with seven of those in mainland China. There are 5k properties in the U.S.: 4 in Texas and one in Ohio (Candlewood Suites Cleveland-N. Olmsted). Other 5k destinations include Brazil (Holiday Inn Express Rio Branco) and Turkey (Holiday Inn Ankara – Cukurambar and Crowne Plaza Istanbul – Harbiye).
Here’s how the list breaks down by brand and price level:
|Holiday Inn Express||10||39||25||74|
Let’s take a look at some other properties that caught our eye.
Kimpton Overland Hotel Atlanta Airport
- Location: Atlanta
- Standard rate: 40,000 points
- PointBreaks rate: 15,000 points — a 62.5% discount
For the first time that I can remember, a Kimpton hotel has made the PointBreaks list! Originally opened in 2017 as the Solis Two Porche Drive, the hotel rebranded as the Kimpton Overland Hotel Atlanta Airport in January 2019. Located right next to the Atlanta Airport and the Porsche delivery center, the hotel provides excellent views of inbound aircraft and fast cars.
InterContinental Cartagena De Indias [SOLD OUT]
- Location: Cartagena, Colombia
- Standard rate: 35,000 points
- PointBreaks rate: 15,000 points — a 57% discount
This stunning InterContinental was already a great choice for the capped anniversary free night that IHG Premier Credit Card cardholders get. If you were planning a trip this fall, you can save that free night certificate for one of the other great options, as the InterContinental Cartagena is available for just 15,000 points per night now through PointBreaks.
Holiday Inn & Suites: Orlando – International Dr S [SOLD OUT]
- Location: Orlando
- Standard rate: 30,000 points
- PointBreaks rate: 15,000 points — a 50% discount
Located in the heart of the theme park area of Orlando, this hotel is a solid choice for families looking for a vacation. Even better, the hotel just opened in August 2019 and has gotten incredible reviews Through PointBreaks, reward nights are discounted to just 15,000 points per night — a 50% discount off the standard price and just $75 per night at TPG valuations.
Crowne Plaza Istanbul – Harbiye [SOLD OUT]
- Location: Istanbul, Turkey
- Standard rate: 20,000 points
- PointBreaks rate: 5,000 points — a 75% discount
Tourism has taken a hit in Turkey, and that’s showing in hotel occupancy levels. Still, Turkey and Istanbul remain an incredible place to visit. If you want to visit Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque for yourself, you can do so for just 5,000 IHG points per night — which TPG values at just $25 per night.
Featured photp courtesy of InterContinental Cartagena — bookable for 15,000 points per night through this PointBreaks promotion.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page with current IHG PointBreaks options, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for updates.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees