This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG’s full PointBreaks list is live now! Click here to check out the full list of hotels and start booking your stays.
If you’re looking for a getaway this winter, Monday’s the day to book your hotel! In addition to a slew of Cyber Monday hotel deals, IHG just released a new list of hotels that you can book for just 5,000 to 15,000 IHG Rewards points per night. While this promotion is available through the end of February 2019, you’ll want to move quickly as there’s only a limited number of nights sold at this discounted rate — and the best properties get scooped up fast.
Unfortunately, IHG Rewards didn’t provide a preview list of what would be available. (The last time a preview list was publicly shared was back in April.) And the IHG Rewards Club Facebook and Twitter pages have been eerily quiet on the topic of PointBreaks this time around.
All of this means that we didn’t have any idea of what’s on the list until it went live at 12 noon ET today. So, check out the list to see which properties might work with your travel plans and book away.
Here are some tips and terms to keep in mind:
- Each member is limited to two bookings per hotel. There’s no limit to the number of hotels you book.
- Book now and firm up plans later. Most hotels will let you cancel these award reservations and get a full refund of points (with no fee) up until the day before check-in. And, you can drop nights off of a booking if you don’t end up needing all of the nights you booked.
- One of the benefits of the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is automatically getting fourth night free on awards. If you’re working with more than one IHG account — such as your spouse or family — make sure to book the longer stays through the cardholder’s account to utilize this benefit.
- If you need extra points, you can currently buy points at 0.5 cents per point, which is cheaper than TPG’s valuation of 0.6 cents per IHG Rewards point. At that rate, the 5,000-point PointBreaks hotels cost just $25 per night and only $75 per night at the 15,000-point properties.
- You can also earn 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in the first three months through the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card.
One of the greatest disappointments of this new list is the lack of 5,000-point properties. On the old list, there were still 20 properties available at 5,000 points per night at the time it expired. Meanwhile, there are just 13 properties on the new list at this rate — with only two of those being in the US and more than half located in mainland China:
That said, there are still some gems on this version. There’s a total of four InterContinental properties on the list:
- InterContinental Cali at 10,000 points per night
- InterContinental Medellin at 10,000 points per night
- InterContinental Nairobi at 15,000 points per night
- InterContinental Phu Quoc Long Beach Resort at 15,000 points per night
For those looking to visit Europe this winter, here are the not-especially exciting options available at 10,000 points per night:
- Holiday Inn Ashford – Central (United Kingdom)
- Holiday Inn Express Liverpool – Royal Albert Dock (United Kingdom)
- Holiday Inn Express London – Newbury Park (United Kingdom)
- Holiday Inn Ipswich (United Kingdom)
- Holiday Inn Express Munich – City East (Germany)
- Holiday Inn Munich – City East (Germany)
- Crowne Plaza Padova (Italy)
However, at 15,000 points per night, you can book the snazzy Hotel Indigo in Antwerp, Belgium.
Here’s how the list breaks down by brand and price level:
|BRAND||5,000 points per night||10,000 points per night||15,000 points per night||TOTAL|
|Holiday Inn Express||10||38||5||53|
For reference, when IHG released its first version of PointBreaks split into three levels, there were a total of 203 hotels on the list — 33 at 5,000 points; 116 at 10,000 points and 54 at 15,000 points. So, there’s been a noticeable reduction in hotels at every level.
Featured image courtesy of the InterContinental Phu Quoc — bookable for 15,000 IHG points per night through PointBreaks.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page with current IHG PointBreaks options, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for updates.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn 80,000 points, worth up to $480 with the IHG Rewards Premier Card. With this card you'll get IHG Rewards Platinum Elite status which more than negates the value of the $89 annual fee. You'll also earn 10 points per dollar at IHG hotels, 2 points per dollar on gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants and 1 point per dollar on everything else.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Enjoy a Free Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a free reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn 10 points per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®