New IHG PointBreaks list is live: Book hotels from just 5,000 points, up to 75% discount
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG’s full PointBreaks list is live now! Click here to check out the full list of hotels and start booking your stays.
If you’re looking for a getaway this fall, IHG just released a new list of hotels that you can book for just 5,000 to 15,000 IHG Rewards points per night. While this promotion is available through the end of January 2020, you’ll want to move quickly as there are only a limited number of nights sold at this discounted rate — and the best properties get scooped up fast.
The full list reveals a total of 178 hotels. Of those, 93 hotels are discounted to 10,000 points per night — which is just $50 worth of points per night at current TPG valuations. There’s good news if you want to stay domestic, there are 98 discounted hotels in the U.S.
And for those looking for luxury, there are four InterContinental hotels on the list:
- InterContinental Cartagena De Indias — 15,000 points per night
- InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall — 15,000 points per night
- InterContinental Nairobi — 15,000 points per night
- InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers — 15,000 points per night
Before we get into some of the best properties, here are some tips and terms to keep in mind. Each member is limited to two bookings per hotel. There’s no limit to the number of hotels you can book.
One of the benefits of the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is automatically getting fourth night free on awards. If you’re working with more than one IHG account — such as your spouse or family — make sure to book the longer stays through the cardholder’s account to utilize this benefit.
5,000-point properties have been an endangered species on recent lists. In the past, IHG would put 100+ properties on sale for just 5,000 points per night. Earlier this year, that list length took an ungraceful fall to just nine properties — with six of those located in mainland China.
While it’s not as good as the 20 properties on the last list, there are 15 properties on this version with seven of those in mainland China. There are 5k properties in the U.S.: 4 in Texas and one in Ohio (Candlewood Suites Cleveland-N. Olmsted). Other 5k destinations include Brazil (Holiday Inn Express Rio Branco) and Turkey (Holiday Inn Ankara – Cukurambar and Crowne Plaza Istanbul – Harbiye).
Here’s how the list breaks down by brand and price level:
|Holiday Inn Express||10||39||25||74|
Let’s take a look at some other properties that caught our eye.
Kimpton Overland Hotel Atlanta Airport
- Location: Atlanta
- Standard rate: 40,000 points
- PointBreaks rate: 15,000 points — a 62.5% discount
For the first time that I can remember, a Kimpton hotel has made the PointBreaks list! Originally opened in 2017 as the Solis Two Porche Drive, the hotel rebranded as the Kimpton Overland Hotel Atlanta Airport in January 2019. Located right next to the Atlanta Airport and the Porsche delivery center, the hotel provides excellent views of inbound aircraft and fast cars.
InterContinental Cartagena De Indias [SOLD OUT]
- Location: Cartagena, Colombia
- Standard rate: 35,000 points
- PointBreaks rate: 15,000 points — a 57% discount
This stunning InterContinental was already a great choice for the capped anniversary free night that IHG Premier Credit Card cardholders get. If you were planning a trip this fall, you can save that free night certificate for one of the other great options, as the InterContinental Cartagena is available for just 15,000 points per night now through PointBreaks.
Holiday Inn & Suites: Orlando – International Dr S [SOLD OUT]
- Location: Orlando
- Standard rate: 30,000 points
- PointBreaks rate: 15,000 points — a 50% discount
Located in the heart of the theme park area of Orlando, this hotel is a solid choice for families looking for a vacation. Even better, the hotel just opened in August 2019 and has gotten incredible reviews Through PointBreaks, reward nights are discounted to just 15,000 points per night — a 50% discount off the standard price and just $75 per night at TPG valuations.
Crowne Plaza Istanbul – Harbiye [SOLD OUT]
- Location: Istanbul, Turkey
- Standard rate: 20,000 points
- PointBreaks rate: 5,000 points — a 75% discount
Tourism has taken a hit in Turkey, and that’s showing in hotel occupancy levels. Still, Turkey and Istanbul remain an incredible place to visit. If you want to visit Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque for yourself, you can do so for just 5,000 IHG points per night — which TPG values at just $25 per night.
Featured photp courtesy of InterContinental Cartagena — bookable for 15,000 points per night through this PointBreaks promotion.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page with current IHG PointBreaks options, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for updates.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.