Icelandair makes Raleigh-Durham its newest US destination
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Icelandair is headed to The Tar Heel State for its latest U.S. expansion.
The carrier will launch service between Keflavik (KEF) near Iceland’s capital of Reykjavik and Raleigh-Durham (RDU) on May 12. Service will be operated four times a week — on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays — with a Boeing 737 MAX 8. That aircraft has features 144 economy seats and 16 Saga Class seats, which is similar to an international premium economy product.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
“We are excited to add Raleigh-Durham to our extensive route network, offering non-stop flights from North Carolina to Iceland with convenient connections to our many destinations in Europe,” Bogi Nils Bogason, president and CEO of Icelandair, said in a statement. “North Carolina is an exciting new destination for our local market, to visit as a tourist or in relation to the world class university community and the strong high-tech industry.”
For residents of North Carolina’s “Research Triangle” metro area, Icelandair’s new service provides a new travel open when visiting Europe. American Airlines’ flight to London Heathrow (LHR) is scheduled to resume in March, with Delta resuming its flight to Paris (CDG) in August. Icelandair serves more than 25 destinations throughout Iceland, Scandinavia and continental Europe. It famously offers free Iceland stopovers of up to seven days on its tickets.
The new flight departs RDU at 8:30 p.m., arriving in Keflavik at 6:30 a.m. the next day, all times local. The return flight departs KEF at 4:45 p.m., arriving at RDU at 7:30 p.m.
Fares start at $449 for travel to Iceland, and $499 for onward travel to Europe, and are valid between May 12 and June 15 as well as August 16 and Oct. 30. Icelandair is bookable using Alaska Mileage Plan miles, and while the partner availability for this flight has not yet been released, round trips between New York (JFK) and Keflavik run anywhere from 60,000 to 80,000 Alaska miles (TPG values Alaska Mileage Plan miles at 1.8 cents per mile). JetBlue TrueBlue members are able to earn miles for cash bookings, though these miles are not redeemable on Icelandair. Finally, Icelandair’s Saga Club is a good option for frequent travelers to or through Iceland, though it does not participate in any credit card transfer programs.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees