Hyatt Testing Option to Skip Housekeeping in Return for Bonus Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hyatt is testing out offering members of the World of Hyatt program the option to skip housekeeping services in return for bonus points.
Travel blog View from the Wing shared an image from one of its readers showing a door placard that details the offer. The offer allows World of Hyatt members the option to forego any housekeeping services for stays longer than one night and earn 250 points per night and/or other incentives. While the program is new for Hyatt, the concept of points in return for skipping housekeeping is currently offered by multiple other hotel chains with similar programs.
Starwood Hotels, now a part of Marriott, pioneered the program, originally offering SPG members the option to forego housekeeping services in return for 500 SPG points (worth ~$12.5) or a $5 voucher. Following Starwood’s merger with Marriott, Marriott has continued the program, now offering a mere 500 Bonvoy points (worth ~$4.5). Marriott’s extension of the program, advertised as a sustainable option hence the name Make a Green Choice, was met with protest by the hotel chain’s unionized housekeepers as it was believed that, as fewer guests requested the services of housekeeping, layoffs would follow.
Hyatt has branded the program as It’s Your Choice for More Points. It’s Your Choice For More Points is currently in the test phase and is available at select properties. Like other skip-housekeeping-for-points programs, guests must be a member of the hotel chain’s loyalty program. In this case, only World of Hyatt members can receive points in return for skipping out on housekeeping services. Here is what Hyatt is currently offering to World of Hyatt members who participate in this program:
- First and foremost, 1-night stays are not eligible. To be eligible for this program, you must be staying at a Hyatt property for 2+ nights.
- Second, the last night does not count. This is a practical and understandable restriction as your room will be serviced on the final day of your stay regardless of your preferences.
- For each night you choose to forego housekeeping services, you will receive 250 World of Hyatt points which TPG has valued at $4.25.
- In some cases, properties might offer an alternative incentive including free parking or possibly a voucher. However, as the program is still in testing, details pertaining to alternative incentives are not yet known.
While the program is quite straightforward, let’s say that, for example, you are staying at a Hyatt Place for four nights. You will earn 250 World of Hyatt Points on the first, second and third night of your stay. You will not earn points for the fourth night. This means that a 4-night stay would yield 750 points, which TPG values at $12.75.
It’s not yet clear which properties are targeted for this program or what other offers are available to guests. TPG will continue to monitor Hyatt’s new program and provide updates as they become available.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Image Courtesy of Hyatt Hotels
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.