Hyatt Testing Option to Skip Housekeeping in Return for Bonus Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hyatt is testing out offering members of the World of Hyatt program the option to skip housekeeping services in return for bonus points.
Travel blog View from the Wing shared an image from one of its readers showing a door placard that details the offer. The offer allows World of Hyatt members the option to forego any housekeeping services for stays longer than one night and earn 250 points per night and/or other incentives. While the program is new for Hyatt, the concept of points in return for skipping housekeeping is currently offered by multiple other hotel chains with similar programs.
Starwood Hotels, now a part of Marriott, pioneered the program, originally offering SPG members the option to forego housekeeping services in return for 500 SPG points (worth ~$12.5) or a $5 voucher. Following Starwood’s merger with Marriott, Marriott has continued the program, now offering a mere 500 Bonvoy points (worth ~$4.5). Marriott’s extension of the program, advertised as a sustainable option hence the name Make a Green Choice, was met with protest by the hotel chain’s unionized housekeepers as it was believed that, as fewer guests requested the services of housekeeping, layoffs would follow.
Hyatt has branded the program as It’s Your Choice for More Points. It’s Your Choice For More Points is currently in the test phase and is available at select properties. Like other skip-housekeeping-for-points programs, guests must be a member of the hotel chain’s loyalty program. In this case, only World of Hyatt members can receive points in return for skipping out on housekeeping services. Here is what Hyatt is currently offering to World of Hyatt members who participate in this program:
- First and foremost, 1-night stays are not eligible. To be eligible for this program, you must be staying at a Hyatt property for 2+ nights.
- Second, the last night does not count. This is a practical and understandable restriction as your room will be serviced on the final day of your stay regardless of your preferences.
- For each night you choose to forego housekeeping services, you will receive 250 World of Hyatt points which TPG has valued at $4.25.
- In some cases, properties might offer an alternative incentive including free parking or possibly a voucher. However, as the program is still in testing, details pertaining to alternative incentives are not yet known.
While the program is quite straightforward, let’s say that, for example, you are staying at a Hyatt Place for four nights. You will earn 250 World of Hyatt Points on the first, second and third night of your stay. You will not earn points for the fourth night. This means that a 4-night stay would yield 750 points, which TPG values at $12.75.
It’s not yet clear which properties are targeted for this program or what other offers are available to guests. TPG will continue to monitor Hyatt’s new program and provide updates as they become available.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Image Courtesy of Hyatt Hotels
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee