Hyatt Testing Option to Skip Housekeeping in Return for Bonus Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hyatt is testing out offering members of the World of Hyatt program the option to skip housekeeping services in return for bonus points.
Travel blog View from the Wing shared an image from one of its readers showing a door placard that details the offer. The offer allows World of Hyatt members the option to forego any housekeeping services for stays longer than one night and earn 250 points per night and/or other incentives. While the program is new for Hyatt, the concept of points in return for skipping housekeeping is currently offered by multiple other hotel chains with similar programs.
Starwood Hotels, now a part of Marriott, pioneered the program, originally offering SPG members the option to forego housekeeping services in return for 500 SPG points (worth ~$12.5) or a $5 voucher. Following Starwood’s merger with Marriott, Marriott has continued the program, now offering a mere 500 Bonvoy points (worth ~$4.5). Marriott’s extension of the program, advertised as a sustainable option hence the name Make a Green Choice, was met with protest by the hotel chain’s unionized housekeepers as it was believed that, as fewer guests requested the services of housekeeping, layoffs would follow.
Hyatt has branded the program as It’s Your Choice for More Points. It’s Your Choice For More Points is currently in the test phase and is available at select properties. Like other skip-housekeeping-for-points programs, guests must be a member of the hotel chain’s loyalty program. In this case, only World of Hyatt members can receive points in return for skipping out on housekeeping services. Here is what Hyatt is currently offering to World of Hyatt members who participate in this program:
- First and foremost, 1-night stays are not eligible. To be eligible for this program, you must be staying at a Hyatt property for 2+ nights.
- Second, the last night does not count. This is a practical and understandable restriction as your room will be serviced on the final day of your stay regardless of your preferences.
- For each night you choose to forego housekeeping services, you will receive 250 World of Hyatt points which TPG has valued at $4.25.
- In some cases, properties might offer an alternative incentive including free parking or possibly a voucher. However, as the program is still in testing, details pertaining to alternative incentives are not yet known.
While the program is quite straightforward, let’s say that, for example, you are staying at a Hyatt Place for four nights. You will earn 250 World of Hyatt Points on the first, second and third night of your stay. You will not earn points for the fourth night. This means that a 4-night stay would yield 750 points, which TPG values at $12.75.
It’s not yet clear which properties are targeted for this program or what other offers are available to guests. TPG will continue to monitor Hyatt’s new program and provide updates as they become available.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Image Courtesy of Hyatt Hotels
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees